87 Evinrude 60 Goes Into SLOW Mode Randomly

rbankr

Recruit
My 87 Evinrude 60 goes into SLOW mode unexpectedly for no apparent reason. VRO has been bypassed so I'm running 50:1 in the tank. Motor starts easily and idles well. Leaves the marina smartly and runs up to 5000RPM just fine. At some point in the trip, the motor will cut back to 2200 RPM or so at WOT and the engine bogs until the throttle is pulled back. The motor then runs smoothly at 2200 RPM back to the marina. Pushing the primer switch causes the motor to bog. No alarms or steam. Fuel line bulb is firm. New plugs, wires, power pack and thermostat. Carbs are clean and the motor acts the same on a portable tank and hose as with the internal tank. Local mechanics are baffled. I've checked, cleaned and tightened all electrical connections and have found no frayed wires. We have spent over 2 hours at cruise (4200RPM) with no problems, other times it'll cut back - doesn't seem to be any common connection other than higher power levels. Some forums suggest checking the blocking diode, but I'm not having much luck finding it on this motor. Anybody have a thought?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 Evinrude 60 Goes Into SLOW Mode Randomly

You don't have SLOW on that mtr. It came out on that mtr in"89. Look for some ignition problem in it.

Last edited:

rbankr

Recruit

You don't have SLOW on that mtr. It came out on that mtr in"89. Look for some ignition problem in it.

Thanks - I spent a lot of time trying to determine if it had SLOW, but never nailed it down. Could a coil breaking down under load show these symptoms? There doesn't seem to be much to this ignition system.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I don`t see any voltage output checks for the ignition charge coil or power pack.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Use an inductive timing light to check each plug wire when it boggs down to see if you are loosing spark to any plugs.
When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove the high speed orifices and make sure they were not plugged or restricted?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to cdielectronics.com. They have good trouble shooting procedures.