chevy inline 6 has been converted to electronic ignition - not getting spark

Derek Reuter

Cadet
have mercruiser 165 hp chevy inline 6 that has an electronic ignition - no spark

how do I test? what will I need to do test? please help! engine will not start

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: chevy inline 6 has been converted to electronic ignition - not getting spark

Whose electronic ignition. They aren't all the same. Besides, tbis is better handled in the Mercruiser forum. This a general electrical forum.

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: chevy inline 6 has been converted to electronic ignition - not getting spark

:welcome: to iboats, i'll be moving your thread to the proper forum and bumping it to the top for now. Good luck.:)

NHGuy

Captain

Is your safety kill switch or lanyard in the run position? And is it in neutral?
There's a shift cutout too. They can be wired different ways depending on which ignition you have.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you just install the ignition and now doesn't start or is it just not running and happens to have an electronic ignition?
I just converted my 165 to a Pertronix Ignitor II with no issues.

Derek Reuter

Cadet

Did you just install the ignition and now doesn't start or is it just not running and happens to have an electronic ignition?
I just converted my 165 to a Pertronix Ignitor II with no issues.

came with...turns over ..no spark