rectifier replacement

smithr130

Cadet
I have read a lot on here and other forums about replacing rectifiers. Saw the radio shack video, and thought about going that way, until they had to also get a voltage regulator also. I talked to a buddy of mine that works at a starter, altanater shop. He rebuilt my starter off my 90 force 90 hp. I found a rectifier on ebay new for $28 for a mercury motor. It fits and works perfect on my force. Just thought this might be helpful for others. By the way the reason I had the starter rebuilt was due to low voltage starting by the previous owner. It burnt the windings in 3 spots on the armetuer. New one was $60, but now it spins over fast, and start the motor right up.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: rectifier replacement

You don't need to add a voltage regulator if your current system doesn't have one, you can, but its not needed. The $5 Radio Shack rectifier works fine alone on a rectifier only system, I've used many of them.

smithr130

Cadet

Mallory marine products 9-17100 at wulffle marine is where I got this rectifier from. The only problem with the rectifier from radio shack not having a voltage regulator it can go as high as 20 volts with regulating and actually hurt your battery or other electronics. Anything over 14.5 volts even with the low amps put out by the charging unit on these outboards is hard on the battery, and can cause it not to last as long as it should, possible stranding you out on water. I got all this information from the guys at the local starter, altenater shop. They have been in business for over 40 years and I've had them do lots of work, so i'm pretty sure they know what they are talking about on this.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

That is mostly correct....but.

If your motor had a rectifier only system (and many outboard motors do), it will be no different than it was before. You said you bought a rectifier, not a regulator/rectifier, so all you bought was rectifier, which will be the same as the radio shack one.

The voltage rarely climbs higher than 17 on a rectifier only system, and long term (running for long periods of time with nothing else on to draw off some of the voltage) can cause issues with a smaller battery, larger batteries handle it better, and short term does no harm.

Last edited: