engine not responding to throttle shifter 1989 Johnbson 9.9HP on 1989 bass tracker

mroman59

Recruit
I have an outboard Johnson 9.9HP motor runs and sounds fine, but is not responding well to the throttle shifter like it should. I have to make several attempts, back and forth, with throttle shifter to get it into high speed and may not be getting into top speed when shifter is all the way forward. Same with reverse. Forward and reverse both work so transmission is fine. I am assuming that there is something wrong with a part that connects the cable from the shifter lever in the boat to the engine, but not sure.

Could anyone tell me what the possibilities could be?

Also, would there be an online parts diagram that would help. I am thinking that I would may have to determine which control mechanism/manufacturer was used for bass tracker at the time to get a parts diagram or possibly call Basstracker and ask them.

Thank you
Mike

Re: engine not responding to throttle shifter 1989 Johnbson 9.9HP on 1989 bass tracke

You can find a parts diagram at shop2.evinrude.com

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine not responding to throttle shifter 1989 Johnbson 9.9HP on 1989 bass tracke

Is this set up with remote steering etc? Yes the cable could be bad or perhaps out of adjustment.
With thee motor off and in gear operate the throttle and observe the mechanism at the motor.

mroman59

Recruit

[Is this set up with remote steering etc?QUOTE]

Yes, the boat has a steering wheel and the shifter for the throttle control is on the side of the boat next to the driver seat. I had the boat out on the lake this weak and that's when I experienced the problem. I tried to observe the mechanism at the motor as I was driving in the boat while on the lake. Now that I have it home, I will put it in gear and operate the throttle and watch the mechanism at the motor. I assume there should be some movement forward and back motion of the cable attached to the motor. I was not able to observe anything moving while on the lake , but it must have moved at some point without me seeing it because I was eventually able to get the boat into higher speeds while quickly moving the shifter/throttle control all the way forward to get the engine revved higher.

Am I to assume the parts diagram given at shop2.evinrude.com will not include a remote control, since the manufacturer of the boat installed the control after they purchased the motor from Johnson?

Thanks,
MR

wanty9999

Cadet

[Is this set up with remote steering etc?QUOTE]

Yes, the boat has a steering wheel and the shifter for the throttle control is on the side of the boat next to the driver seat. I had the boat out on the lake this weak and that's when I experienced the problem. I tried to observe the mechanism at the motor as I was driving in the boat while on the lake. Now that I have it home, I will put it in gear and operate the throttle and watch the mechanism at the motor. I assume there should be some movement forward and back motion of the cable attached to the motor. I was not able to observe anything moving while on the lake , but it must have moved at some point without me seeing it because I was eventually able to get the boat into higher speeds while quickly moving the shifter/throttle control all the way forward to get the engine revved higher.

Am I to assume the parts diagram given at shop2.evinrude.com will not include a remote control, since the manufacturer of the boat installed the control after they purchased the motor from Johnson?

Thanks,
MR

correct, you probably won't find a remote control parts diagram. I have a 15hp evinrude set up like this and it has had its fair shares of issues. Take the cover off and move the controls forward and back while looking at the arm on the motor. you should be able to see it moving. you can then go work this arm on the motor while looking at the throttle to verify it is functioning properly. mine was getting seized up after going into reverse then i would have to manually correct it, otherwise it'd be stuck in high throttle! kinda funny at boat ramps...not. :)