Cone shaped propeller nut: Why are they often missing on motors?

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK I did a search, but couldn't find any fast answers. Why is it that on most motors I see out an about, the cone shaped propeller nut is missing? It's only $8. Does it go faster, look cooler, or what? Thanks.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Cone shaped propeller nut: Why are they often missing on motors?

Are you referring to the prop anode that some engines have?

wickware

Lieutenant

I replaced the plastic with a bolt as hard as steel that d/n appear to rust (machined thinner to fit) and galvanize/aluminum spacers. I felt a ?Texas Stump? would break the plastic. Good Or Bad Move (since the plastic looked aged on the 1970, 35hp Chrysler)?

Attachments

• Boats Propeller's Pin's Plastic Retainer.JPG
    Boats Propeller's Pin's Plastic Retainer.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat's Modified steel & Aluminum Retainer 2.jpg
    Boat's Modified steel & Aluminum Retainer 2.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat's Engine Steel Propeller Nut 2.JPG
    Boat's Engine Steel Propeller Nut 2.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7282.jpg104_7072.jpg102_6371.jpg100_6143.jpg100_5944.jpg

Depends upon what engine you are inquiring about: Early 1980s larger Chrysler and Force engines had a "flare washer" and tailcone. Later on, Brunswick discontinued them--it saved manufacturing cost and did not affect performance. But, they do look cool.

With the advent of thru-hub exhaust, any tailcone became a liability and again, there was no difference in performance--other than the thru-hub exhaust supposedly giving more horsepower.

On the smaller engines like the 35 and 50 HP, the plastic cone holds the thrust pin. Even held with a cotter pin, the cone can break from vibration or the pin can break and the cone work off. The thrust pin then falls out and you lose the prop when you slow down.

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

View attachment 211802View attachment 211803View attachment 211804View attachment 211805View attachment 211806

Depends upon what engine you are inquiring about: Early 1980s larger Chrysler and Force engines had a "flare washer" and tailcone. Later on, Brunswick discontinued them--it saved manufacturing cost and did not affect performance. But, they do look cool.

With the advent of thru-hub exhaust, any tailcone became a liability and again, there was no difference in performance--other than the thru-hub exhaust supposedly giving more horsepower.

On the smaller engines like the 35 and 50 HP, the plastic cone holds the thrust pin. Even held with a cotter pin, the cone can break from vibration or the pin can break and the cone work off. The thrust pin then falls out and you lose the prop when you slow down.

I knew someone here was going to be able to clue me in. I think I'll include one on my next order and see how much "cool" I'll get for $8. Thanks Frank.

Jiggz

Captain

OK I did a search, but couldn't find any fast answers. Why is it that on most motors I see out an about, the cone shaped propeller nut is missing? It's only $8. Does it go faster, look cooler, or what? Thanks.

Where? I want one!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Where'd you find it?

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... sorry guys for the "head fake". Didn't realize that the one I was looking at was for a much smaller motor... still looking for one.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

They come up occasionally on ebay---26 bucks-- which is about what they cost back when new. Search Chrysler/Force propellers. They are usually in that auction. HOWEVER: That does NOT include the flare washer.

Jiggz

Captain

They come up occasionally on ebay---26 bucks-- which is about what they cost back when new. Search Chrysler/Force propellers. They are usually in that auction. HOWEVER: That does NOT include the flare washer.

I have the flare washer on my 125 but not the cone. I looked on cone prop nuts and most I've seen are for smaller engines and mostly on Volvo Penta. In one of your pics I saw one with red flare washer and red cone. So how does the cone mounts to the flare washer?

A2M2

Seaman Apprentice

So mine currently matches Frank's last photo. It looks kinda stupid, like it's missing parts. Can I just lop it off with a zip wheel and call it good? I could care less about finding a cone, just don't want that long stud sticking out

Jiggz

Captain

So mine currently matches Frank's last photo. It looks kinda stupid, like it's missing parts. Can I just lop it off with a zip wheel and call it good? I could care less about finding a cone, just don't want that long stud sticking out

You can but I think you will be better off getting a cone for it. They are not really that expensive from ebay. I wish I had a threaded shaft like yours. A cone will really look cool.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

100_5944.jpg103_6268.jpg103_6265.jpg

One on ebay for 29 bucks now. Don't cut off the shaft protrusion-- you may want to use it at a later date--and it doesn't look stupid. In fact, you can use the hole in the end of the shaft: Put a small bolt and locking nut or a large cotter pin through it and if the prop nut works loose, it will prevent it from coming off the shaft and prevent you from losing a prop.

I have sometimes thought about taking my late model lower units to a shop and have a 1/2 inch extension either welded on the prop shaft or having the shaft drilled and tapped to again add an extension.

Jiggs: Your shaft MUST have the extra length on it to mount the cone. Later Force lower units did not have it and while the flare washer can be used as a spacer, the cone will not mount. It slips over the end of the shaft and a screw (the same part as the shift pivot screw) goes into a hole in the shaft.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain

View attachment 212048View attachment 212049View attachment 212050

One on ebay for 29 bucks now. Don't cut off the shaft protrusion-- you may want to use it at a later date--and it doesn't look stupid. In fact, you can use the hole in the end of the shaft: Put a small bolt and locking nut or a large cotter pin through it and if the prop nut works loose, it will prevent it from coming off the shaft and prevent you from losing a prop.

I have sometimes thought about taking my late model lower units to a shop and have a 1/2 inch extension either welded on the prop shaft ot having the shaft drilled and tapped to again add an extension.

Jiggs: Your shaft MUST have the extra length on it to mount the cone. Later Force lower units did not have it and while the flare washer can be used as a spacer, the cone will not mount. It slips over the end of the shaft and a screw (the same part as the shift pivot screw goes into a hole in the shaft.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll look into drilling and tapping a small center hole on the prop shaft for mounting.