70 hp alarm horn wiring

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I disconnected my alarm horn for the temperature sensor and can't remember how to rewire it. The seloc manual looks like it is the orange wire (sending unit) and then the blue ignition wire... each go to either of the alarm horn wires. I have checked that the horn works. I have it set up with one wire from the horn going to the orange and the other going to the blue ignition. I should be able to turn the iginition on and jump a screwdriver from the temp sending unit to a spark plug and the alarm should sound... says the manual. Nothing...Thanks for any help in advance.

1979 Chrysler 700 skier 70 hp.

Nordin

Commander
Re: 70 hp alarm horn wiring

The sensor grounds out when temperature get high.
You should wire the horn as you have done. Blue at one terminal and orange at the other.
Remember that blue is only hot (12V positive) when keyswitch is in ON position.

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The sensor grounds out when temperature get high.
You should wire the horn as you have done. Blue at one terminal and orange at the other.
Remember that blue is only hot (12V positive) when keyswitch is in ON position.

On my 1983 85HP the previous owner has the alarm wired with one of the alarm wires attached to the terminal at the ignition switch marked (I) and the other wire from the alarm horn attached to the end of the wire that would have been attached to the (I) terminal if there had been no alarm horn. It's been bugging me since I noticed it. This would seem incorrect based on the description above. Am I missing something?

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the response. How then do I check if the sensor is working. The manual says jump from the sensor to the closest spark plug with the battery and ignition on... This will aparently ground out the sensor and sound the alarm, no? I did this and no buzz.

Nordin

Commander

You have the electric circuitdiagram at for example Maxrules.com. Check "technical spec." and then Chrysler/Force and there it is.

You can check the sensor by putting it in a can of boiling water (if it is a threaded typ of sensor) or if it is a pressed in typ by heating it with a heatinggun.
Be careful not to mealt the wireinsultation. Connect a VOM at it and measure resistant (Ohms). Put measurewires at orangewire and the housing of the sensor or ground if it is mounted at the head. It shall move from open circuit to close (zero) if it works.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Key on. Piece of wire, stripped on both ends.
Touch the ORANGE lead on the terminal bar to any ground.
It should make the buzzer go off.
To test the buzzer? Remove it and strip 2 pieces of wire, attach wires to the posts on the buzzer and then connect to a battery.
It should make the buzzer sound off.
If that doesn't work? A car or motorcycle horn will work and it's a lot louder than the original buzzer.

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, did the "take a piece of wire and touch the sensor at the end of the orange wire with a head bolt" test and my alarm sounded. Even with my alarm wired "inline with the orange wire", my still worked. I guess there are different alarm horn types?

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stripped wire from orange on terminal block to ground... buzzed. Thanks again for all the help. For some reason, the seloc said i could ground it from the sensor and jump it over to the closest plug. That didn't work. Thanks again for all the input.