1963 Evinrude 70HP

jskinner1

Recruit
Can this motor (1963 Evinrude 70HP) be converted from distributor and coil to electronic ignition???

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 Evinrude 70HP

I don't think it can be and probably wouldn't be worth the cost.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

An aftermarket CD system could be added. They were very popular in the 70s. However it would still be using the distributor and repalcement coil. It would require mounting it in the boat and adding a wiring harness. A lot of hassle for what would be gained.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My dad had such a kit on his '70 Merc automobile. It used the same coil and points as the original, but stepped up the voltage to the coil from the usual 8VDC to 300VDC. It reduced the amperage fed to the points. The points would last until you could no longer adjust them (50K miles), and the plugs would not burn as well.

The whole system was a 1 pound butter-sized CDI unit, four wires and two little circuit boards that fit the coil wire connections. If you could find a system today, it would likely be able to be mounted under the cowling.

jskinner1

Recruit

Thanks for the information. Not sure what to do with this motor. It?s actually a 75hp (75393E).
I purchased a 1961 MFG 16? boat W/ tilt trailer &1963 75HP motor from a guy in Chicago. I was surprised when I got the boat home that the motor started up. It?s been sitting since 07 but with some new gas and a couple tweaks it finally started and stayed running. This is by far the oldest Evinrude I have ever owned. It looks like it weighs about 100 lbs. more than the 50HP. It has the electric shift which I have never had. Not sure the electric shift would work for crabbing, not sure the 75 would idle and shift the way I need to run a trout line? I have a 1973 50 HP evinrude I can put on the boat.
I bought the boat for the hull lap strake, nice V hull. I had one several years ago and like most people sold it to purchase a larger boat, 21WA Seapro W 200 Merc. My problem is I can?t go crabbing by myself with the seapro.

I am trying to add/ upload a couple pictures of what I have, (wiring).

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Here you are trying to convert an automotive ignition system to electronic. Look around and you will find a dozen people with electronic ignition trying to figure out a way to convert theirs back to automotive ignition. Be happy with what you have.

Condition is everything. It will idle and shift just fine, if in good condition. If not in good condition, well junk is junk no matter what model it is. Matter of fact, now that you have mentioned it, the electric shift is easier to operate than mechanical shift.

BTW, if you insist on electronic ignition, look around for somebody that has a 1967 and swap ignition parts with him.

Last edited:

jskinner1

Recruit

Thanks for the advice.
I guess I’m getting ahead of myself. I decided to change the gear oil and put the boat in the water and see how the motor propels the boat. Than I can get an idea of what I need. I did notice that the water flow seems less than what it should. I guess I’ll purchase a service manual so I limit the number of emails to you guys.
Thanks again.
jeff.