how much time for carpet and siding (pontoon)

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've done some searches but no results too specific. I have a 16.5 pontoon and thought about re-doing the siding and carpet and wondering if i could do this in two 12 hour days (sat/sun). Of course this is assuming i will re-use the plywood floor. I've watched a video on siding replacement and of course they make it look easy, which I'm sure it is (if you do it for a living :facepalm:). We would have 3 guys, 2 are very mechanically inclined / all around skillful, and me.

Just wondering if this is something to be able to shoot for, including disassembly and reassembly... or should i allot more time. I've never conquered such a large project so i'd love to hear firsthand from someone that has.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: how much time for carpet and siding (pontoon)

The worst part will be removing all of the old carpet and glue if you're giong to reuse the plywood. The old glue will have to be sanded off using a 36 grit or less sandpaper, belt sanders come in real handy for this. Some people choose to replace the plywood instead of doing this.

The carpet installation will be a breeze compared to the demolition, just remember to rent a 150 lb. carpet roller for a professional looking and long lasting job.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

To remove old glue/carpet residue I use an angle grinder and a cup brush ;)

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

to answer your question. its doable if you have everything ready. tools, materials, etc. And, you'll probably have a bunch of time to drink beer,,,,,,,,,,,AFTER!