water coming out of cyclinder#3 while doing a compression test

thao

Cadet
I was putting in a new head gasket on L-drive 85 hp. It was my first time, so I wasn't too sure what to do. I took the head out, put in the new gasket and got it back together. I decided to do a compression test, so I hooked up the hose to the lower unit, because I didn't want to mess up the new impeller i just installed. I took out the spark plugs, and proceeded with the compression test. I turned the engine over, and water was shooting out of the bottom cylinder, while I had the top cylinder tested.

I took it apart again, checking to see if there were any cracks inside the cylinder, or if I had installed it incorrectly. I didn't see anything. Is this normal, or could there be a crack somewhere that I just didn't see? Could it be that the new gasket needed to be broken in before I do the compression test, and some how the water leaked in? I did the compression test, right after I installed the gasket. While I was turning the engine over, the water was spraying out of cylinder number three, where the spark plug hole was.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: water coming out of cyclinder#3 while doing a compression test

Why were you replacing the gasket?
No you shouldn't need to do a breakin before a comp test.
If it wasn't tourqued right it might allow water past.
The head was it warped and twisted?
Do a check and see if it had any gaps?
A piece of glass is usually pretty flat try to check the head and the block.
If it's still leaking?? Then the block might be cracked?

Jiggz

Captain

Can you post pics? But no water leaking out of head mating surfaces or plug holes is NOT NORMAL! Did you torqued it properly in right sequence? Did you clean both mating surfaces immaculately?

thao

Cadet

Can you post pics? But no water leaking out of head mating surfaces or plug holes is NOT NORMAL! Did you torqued it properly in right sequence? Did you clean both mating surfaces immaculately?

I'm thinking that my torque wrench may not be the most accurate, because water does leak out from the head gaskets. I might have to buy a new torque wrench, or just tighten it a little bit more.

Jiggz

Captain

Be careful when re-tightening without a torque wrench, things can easily get too complicated as soon as you break a bolt! Remember, when torquing the head, it has to be at least in two step torquing although personally I do it in three steps. For example for a 220 inch-pound torque, I initially torque all bolts in proper sequence to 120 inch#, then start all over again up to 180-inch# and finally 220 inch# following the standard spiral pattern starting from midpoint. Others just do the half & half two step torquing which is also acceptable or even the 75-25 percent step.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Tourqe is 20ft#s or the 220" pounds.
I don't have an inch #s wrench.
I start at 15 then 17 then finish at 20#.
Take it apart,clean the surfaces and make sure they are all flat.
Then try to reassemble again.