Changing a 1990 115hp Johnson tilt motor

Snooker1969

Recruit
I am new to this forum and I must say a big thank you for those that have unknowingly helped me. Due to the vast knowledge in this community, I was able to diagnose a bad lift motor. I will be recieving the replacement tomorrow and Im sure I will be back with more questions. Getting a head start on the subject, can I change this out with the motor still on the transom by releasing it with the manual release screw and raising the motor completely then supporting it while I change it out? Any tips for said job would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Changing a 1990 115hp Johnson tilt motor

You may have to pull the unit out because there's one bolt in the back of the mtr that's a real bear to get out. Don't break any of the bolts off or you got big probs.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral

I have never tried to change without pulling engine, seperating clamps, and removing the pump/motor assembly. Its not hard and shouldn't take more than an hour.

Snooker1969

Recruit

Thank you guys for the advice. Wishful thinking I guess. Still waiting for the part and having a hard time locating an engine hoist locally. I don't have any trees large enough to use. May have to build my own.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I hate to say this guys but I used the get the units out without removing the mtr. I used to loosen up the tilt tube nuts and the stern bracket bolts. Then rap the brackets to spread them. After that the unit would come out with some wiggle. Never used a hoist.

Snooker1969

Recruit

Thats great news. If Im following you correctly, boobie, I can leave the motor in place,supported, and just pull out the tilt assembly enough to get the rear screw out. Replace the old tilt motor and re install the tilt assembly?

Snooker1969

Recruit

Thank you boobie for the help. I havent forgotten about the forum but today is the first chance Ive had to attempt to work on the boat. I work nights and it just wont stop raining in southeast florida. I cant seem to get the motor to manually release. I have loosened the manual release screw and the engine wont budge. What am I missing? Feeling pretty stupid as I know I am very mechanically inclined. Also could my problem be 2 fold? In my testing, I have run 2 wires...1 from the negative terminal to 1 tilt motor wire and a 2nd from the positive to the other tilt motor wire and just got hot wires. reversed the wires and got the same result. based on another thread on these forums that was the procedure and the conclusion was the motor was bad. However before trying that and just using the tilt switch with the key on, i dont even get a click from the 2 relays.

Last edited: