3.7 mercruiser ticking noise

ericcarr2000

Ensign
(sigh) Ok here goes again . I really need to pick your brains here yet again. I have been having a ticking noise up until around the 1000 RPM mark. after that it seems to go away. Its pretty much from idle to 1000 RPM's. So far to date I have replaced the lifters and the pushrods. The reason I replaced the pushrods is because after I checked the clearances of them after they were collapsed they all were right at the .210 mark. To get it closer to the .110 mark I decided to order some longer ones. It seems to start up quicker after these longer ones were installed and the clearances are at the .110 now, so what could be causing this stinking ticking noise...Any ideas?
Gary

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: 3.7 mercruiser ticking noise

Hi there, Is there any chance you would be able to provide a video of the noise in hopes someone will recognize the sound? Just a thought.

cr2k

Captain

Exhaust flapper? Is it a steady tick at regular timing or is it random? Random would lead me to think flapper.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

eric,
I have pretty much the same noise on my '84, 470. It is only when I first start her up and until the engine warms up good. After that it goes away. If I go out and run the boat awhile and shut her down and fish for a couple of hours the noise comes back upon restart but once again goes away. I figured it to be a lifter bleeding down and mine are the original lifters. Since you have replaced yours I don't know what to say.

Are the lifters hydraulic or standard lifters?

larry

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK. I'll share mine as well. Symptoms are the same. I attribute it to valve train noise on a 30 year old motor. I have made no attempt to correct it and just live with it.

Dennis

Ophion32

Cadet

Have you tried a stehascope or long screwdriver to pinpoint noise

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Hi Larry, the lifters are hydraulic. The reason I need to take care of this is because I am going to be selling it very soon and would hate to have anyone listen to it...
eric,
I have pretty much the same noise on my '84, 470. It is only when I first start her up and until the engine warms up good. After that it goes away. If I go out and run the boat awhile and shut her down and fish for a couple of hours the noise comes back upon restart but once again goes away. I figured it to be a lifter bleeding down and mine are the original lifters. Since you have replaced yours I don't know what to say.

Are the lifters hydraulic or standard lifters?

larry