1954 Clinton Model 25

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The disease I have hit me again yesterday and I had to buy another motor.
What I think I ended up with is a 1954 Clinton Model 25 2.5 hp, but I am not positive.

Does anyone have any info for these motors, oils, mixes, etc?

Also, the tabs in the starter do not engage the cup any longer. It appears that the cup is rather worn. Does anyone know of an equivalent Kohler or other cup that would work?

clint_front.jpg
clint_side.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1954 Clinton Model 25

Have you put any gas in the tank yet? Leaky tanks were extremely common on those. Back in "The Day", there wasn't much you could do about it, but I imagine today's tank sealers would take care of it. Give us a report if you try it.

I used to grind a bit of a sharper edge on the starter pawls. Even then, it wasn't the greatest design.

Fuel mix was 16:1. Somehow, they decided less oil was needed on newer versions, but I don't get it. Myself, I'd use 16:1. Use air-cooled engine oil (chainsaw). Actually, that motor started out as a chainsaw. I started my small engines / outboard motors career in February 1954, so I was there when it happened.

If memory serves, that one does not have a water pump. That's good, because the pump that they put in later models was junk. Look to see if there is a curved tube sticking out the underwater exhaust, and curving toward the prop. Propeller thrust rams water up that tube to cool the exhaust. Works well on a boat, but not so well in a tank. If it isn't cooling, the exhaust housing will get hot as blazes.

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

F_R,
You are a well of information, thanks!

I have not put any fuel in the tank yet. I saw that there was a bit of crud in there so I currently have it soaking with the vinegar salt deal. I didn't notice any mess after I filled it, but I'll check more thoroughly when I get home.
Like you said, I believe this one does not have a water pump. I don't see anything at the bottom that would allow water entry.

I'll try a bit of sharpening on the pawls as you mentioned. This cup is completely smooth. Do you know if it originally had any "rises" for the pawls to catch on?

How about a carb kit, do you have any thoughts on what I can get for that? I have seen some that are listed for Kohler engines. From the pictures they appear to be the stuff that is needed, but I do know if they are the correct size.

Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The cups were smooth when made. Putting an edge on the pawls makes them more likely to get a good "bite". They really weren't that good a starter, but it is all you have to work with.

I don't remember what it has for a carburetor. Carter?? See if www.discountmarine.com has anything to offer. Also------

Clinton Engines Corporation
22563 35th Street
Maquoketa, IA 52060-8640
(563) 652-2411
They are a "cash" only place, they don't accept credit cards.* If they are not there leave a message, and they do get back to you.* tell them what you need, they take your order, then call you back with the price for parts and shipping.*

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

F_R has got you covered pretty good.
As far as 2 stroke oil any good 2 stroke oil will work.
I have a bottle of TCW3 CITGO oil in front of me that is recommended for Outboards,Snowmobiles,motorcycles,,chain saws,string trimmers and lawnmowers.I also have several aftermarket service manuals from 55 on up that recommend sae 30(earlier outboards) or good outboard oil for air cooled outboards.

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, appreciate any and all info.

I'll see about getting the edge on the pawls when I get the thing back together. For some reason I can't stop myself from taking everything apart on these things. Right now this motor is in a ton of pieces all over the floor. At least I am getting smarter and bagging and labeling everything as it comes apart. Strangely enough doing this makes reassembly go much smoother. :D

I'm going to pull the paint of this thing too. I am considering not trying to match the original color and letting my wife pick something. I figure if I let her "get involved" there might be less resistance next time there is a classified bargain.
It will be neat to have a nice, small pink outboard anyway. :facepalm:

Oh yea, the carb is a Carter. I'll check for a kit where mentioned.