What is the Best way to add T/T to a 1987 force 85 HP on a Bayliner capri 1700

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What is the Best way to add T/T to a 1987 force 85 HP on a Bayliner capri 1700

Hey Simple_Man,
As noted by Jiggz, I am in the process of doing the same; well not really as of yet cause I'm in the middle of restoring the boat and won't be putting the motor back on for some time. But go through my thread as well as Benz-Mondi's thread of his install. Once you find a good unit, it's pretty much a direct install in between the existing transom bracket and wiring which I have yet to figure out completely.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is the Best way to add T/T to a 1987 force 85 HP on a Bayliner capri 1700

Easiest way is to pull the motor. Hang it from a tree or a cherry picker.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks All. has anybody used one of the aftermarket products?

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Aftermarket?? Give us a link and we'll take a look??
Just remember that there is a metal plate that needs to be installed on the king pin or you'll eat a hole in the aluminum.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the CMC PT-130 on my pontoon with 150HP Merc. Bought it used on eBay for under $350.

Engine stand pic...

Works as advertised, handles my motor easily. Even can tilt it to a 90 degree angle to the water -- don't have a reason to do that, but I've tried it! I have it wired to a switch on my helm.

Also, in making my decision, T/T was a must have. These bigger motors are heavy and I wanted the right tool to move the motor. I added a trolling motor to my pontoon and get into 2' of water sometimes. I can tilt my 150Hp out of the way. I've seen other guys use a bar to tilt the motor...get in the water and heave it, etc etc. Too much hassle there ! !

I could have bought a Merc T/T for my motor, but used prices were in the $250 zone and it was old technology (my motor is 1975). For a few bucks more, the PT 130 does the job and is serviceable.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain

If price is not a problem, personally I would go with the new technology CMC. The amount of work seems to be the same except for the 6" setback for engine placement. Otherwise, not only are you working with newer material but also for future parts availability. I say go for it.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thx I have heard that the 6" set-back would improve the handling of the boat, any thoughts on that
If price is not a problem, personally I would go with the new technology CMC. The amount of work seems to be the same except for the 6" setback for engine placement. Otherwise, not only are you working with newer material but also for future parts availability. I say go for it.

Jiggz

Captain

The word "improve" is very subjective. One thing for sure, with a 6" setback of the engine the CG (center of gravity) will shift back also.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class

How bad is a 6" shift in the center of gravity??

Jiggz

Captain

How bad is a 6" shift in the center of gravity??

I can't attest if it is good or bad! But physics tells you if you move a major load 5" back the Cg will obviously shift back also albeit at a lesser degree. If this is good or bad depends on your loading of the boat.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks All

Jiggz

Captain

I have the CMC PT-130 on my pontoon with 150HP Merc. Bought it used on eBay for under $350.

Engine stand pic...

Works as advertised, handles my motor easily. Even can tilt it to a 90 degree angle to the water -- don't have a reason to do that, but I've tried it! I have it wired to a switch on my helm.

Also, in making my decision, T/T was a must have. These bigger motors are heavy and I wanted the right tool to move the motor. I added a trolling motor to my pontoon and get into 2' of water sometimes. I can tilt my 150Hp out of the way. I've seen other guys use a bar to tilt the motor...get in the water and heave it, etc etc. Too much hassle there ! !

I could have bought a Merc T/T for my motor, but used prices were in the $250 zone and it was old technology (my motor is 1975). For a few bucks more, the PT 130 does the job and is serviceable.

This is one nice looking motor. Did you repaint it? If so, what kind of paint did you use. I like the flat black look on it instead of the glossy one I have now.