Wish I had a pole? Or a vote on upholstery.

Realgun

Commander
Actualy just about ready to cover the side panels in the boat and have two designs<br />
2037.jpg
<br />The above is the parallel design. <br />
2038.jpg
<br />This is the slant design.<br />This mockup panel is to the right of the capitains chair. <br /><br />Which looks better.<br /><br />Colors cannot be changed. I have 4 colors Very light grey almost white, red, burgundy, normal grey not to dark.<br /><br />Also I dont have a sewing machine so all vyiyl will be stapled down on edges and vinyl will be butted hard to next piece and stapled just like original.<br /><br />Also the top needs the 1-1.5" channel so I can put the panels into the boat with screws.<br /><br /><br />The width top to bottom is 9 inches. The length is around the boat more or less.

Realgun

Commander
Re: Wish I had a pole? Or a vote on upholstery.

PS no comments on the paint job. :) <br />All I have is paint "The program included with windows".

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I prefer the lower one... it's just enough to accent the colors instead of drowning them. <br />Looks like theres too much goin on in the top one.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I too prefer the slant design and I also agree about the drowning in color on the first one... how bout I say...<br /><br /><br />Yea what dave said..

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I like the 2nd one better also RG.

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer

I like the top one...more colorful for front and back seats, less sun glare than with all white.<br /><br />But if you boat in the hot sun, the darker colors might get too warm.<br /><br />Which one do you like?

Realgun

Commander

I actually like the bottom slant design. Hot sun is a factor seriously here. You can burn your bare foot on the handle in the floor in the afternoon!<br /><br />I wanted to get the light color on top to blend with the boat and the bottom to be more grey like the carpet. I also think this will help with the heat so to speak. I hate a hot vinyl seat.

Realgun

Commander

Any tips or tricks in getting the foam and vinyl onto the boards would be very helpful also. PLEASE!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Realgun:<br /> Any tips or tricks in getting the foam and vinyl onto the boards would be very helpful also. PLEASE!
Sprayed on contact cement (from upholsterer) and monel Arrow staples. Glue the foam to the backboard then spray the glue on top of the foam, lay your vinyl over it, wrap it around the back side of the board and staple.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

2nd one .....yup

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer

Here are some suggestions from 3rd parties on the web:<br /><br />A waterproof cover between the foam and vinyl helps extend the life of the foam. <br /><br />A heat sealed 6 mil vapor barrier (i.e., clear plastic) initially wraps the foam to help prevent water penetration into the foam. <br /><br /> http://boat-building.net/topics/000166.html?project <br /><br /> http://www.boatersed.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64787 <br /><br /> http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75812 <br /><br /> http://www.boatersed.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=70885

ColdFire

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll vote for the second also

Twidget

Commander

Definitely the second one.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I like the diagonal stipe design. More sporty than the horizontal design. <br /><br />Got space behind the panel for storage? Maybe some cutouts that can store loose stuff like sun block, towels, flashlight, hand guns, etc. You know, the stuff you don't want flopping around in the boat when you hit some chop.

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go with the second one haus. it looks butter then the long straight lines as is probably easier to maintain.d:)

strizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2nd one! Attach like Boomyal said. I am not a real fan of the clear plastic under the vinyl. Seen too many that just hold water and rot everything, and we all hate the three letter word...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I like the second design...

If you bring your pieces to an awning shop they would probably sew it fairly cheap and do a nice job. The money you save on all the stainless steel staples may cover it.

KaGee

Admiral

Why are you all responding to a thread a year old?

I thought his panels were finished a long time ago.

strizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

haha what the crap....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

RG your making your project far to complicated without the aid of a machine.......... Sorry to say that but i can help you with a far simplier design and much better result's

If that tickle's you imagination plz post pics of your rail's and the original foam