survey moisture readings

spuddie

Cadet
hi all , i have a 18ft picton mardi gras roughly 40 yrs old , the boat came with a survey done approx 2 yrs ago & has been out of the water since , it has various dampness readings the highest being 20 can anyone give me an indication as to how serious this is & what it actually means ? , thanks in advance

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: survey moisture readings

Cannot give you an indication of how serious the moisture is without knowing the extent and location of the high readings.

But, generally speaking, . . .

I assume the readings are from a marine moisture meter, like the Tramax Skipper Plus. A 20% reading would indicate a fairly high moisture content in the fiberglass. So, presumably any wood that is encapsulated by the fiberglass would be wet.

High moisture is one the first stages of the rotting process for wood. With a 40 year old boat, it would warrant further investigation as to the extent of rot, etc., since it has had plenty of time.

Considering that the readings were done 2 years ago, it may be worth doing some current readings and maybe drilling some test holes in parts of the structure.

spuddie

Cadet

yes it was done with a tramex skipper moisture meter , the highest readings of 20 were on the transom & a few on the bottom of the boat , i think i will take ur advice & drill some test holes - if the encapsulated wood is wet is there any fix available or is it scrap , thanks for you're help

tpenfield

Staff member

yes it was done with a tramex skipper moisture meter , the highest readings of 20 were on the transom & a few on the bottom of the boat , i think i will take ur advice & drill some test holes - if the encapsulated wood is wet is there any fix available or is it scrap , thanks for you're help

Check the restoration forum of this site . . . lots of examples of folks who ended up with a rotting boat and had to cut things out and rebuild the internal structure.

I did one myself last year . . . http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...nger-bulkhead-repairs-w-many-pics-534913.html