1958 superseahorse tilt & bolt missing

69RUMBLER

Recruit
I recently acquired a '59 Cutter Jet Deville powered by a 1958 Johnson Superseahorse 35 HP. I have a few questions. I know these issues may sound rather trivial, but your answers may help another novice or two. I've already had it out for a fun little ride. I'm having some confusion, however, with tilting the engine.

1) My 1959 Sterling trailer has a removable transom-saver. When I put the boat on the trailer and prepare to drive somewhere, I lower the motor onto the saver. Then I secure the bottom of the motor to the saver with a strap. QUESTION: To what position should I set my manual controls for this?

For the term MANUAL CONTROLS, I am referring to the vertically sliding lever on the front of the motor. While facing the front of the motor, you can slide it up in the vertical right groove, or lock this lever down in the short left groove (notch). What does this lever do? (Seems to control something in the tilt mechanism.) When should I use it? What position?

I am also referring to a part called the TILTING LOCK PIN on the front starboard side of the motor. (I am identifying that pin from the 1958 PARTS CATALOGUE RDS-RDSL-20 35 HP.) Do I pull the pin out when moving the engine? Do I push it in when wanting the motor to remain stationary? How is it used?

2) Are there any other parts I need to animate to move the engine up and down? Any parts to animate when locking the engine in place /trim to go boating).

3) When backing into the water, should I leave the transom saver in place until the trailer is partially submerged (to prevent the motor from scraping)? Or remove the transom and just tilt the motor up and set the small bar at the highest notch (then resetting the motor to a lower notch to go boating)?

If so, I can only adjust the engine's vertical tilt (trim) in relatively shallow water (maybe 20" or so) or the depth becomes unmanageable for walking around and titlting the motor.

4) I need a bolt. I just noticed that it's missing from the engine (but the star washer is still there). Pages 16-17 of my parts manual shows it as Item No. 81, Part No. #305168 - Screw. It looks like a bolt (not a screw) and there are no specs provided. I just have a hole. I don't know how long it should be, the threads, etc. I don't know what it holds either - looks like it has some internal function. Anybody out there able to remove their bolt and give me some info so I can get one at the hardware store? It's located on the Starboard side of the engine, in the upper left corner of the SWIVEL BRACKET.

Hoping to receive my OWNER'S MANUAL shortly.

THANKS.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1958 superseahorse tilt & bolt missing

Hi 69. Welcome to iboats. Lets see if we can help out a bit.

1 & 2.) You should set the lever/tab on the front of the motor to the RELEASE position while it is on the transom saver. This lever is connected to a sort of claw that "grabs" the trim/tilt pin. When in the release position the claw is raised and the motor can be tilted as needed. However, when in the LOCKED position the claw is engaged and the motor cannot be lifted. You should put the motor into the LOCKED position when on the water. If you do not, the motor will raise out of the water when in REV. Not to worry, if you should hit a submerged object while in FWD the leg will still kick up and out of the way even while in the LOCKED position in order to prevent damage to the motor, or transom.
3.) the transom saver should be removed prior to submerging any part of the boat/trailer. It's simply there to prevent the motor from bouncing around excessively in transit and stressing the transom. However, they're an optional piece of equipment. Some folks use them others simply tilt the motor as high as the can and use a block of wood to keep it in place, while others leave the motor down the entire time. Most folks put the trim/pin in the 2nd-3rd position away from the transom. You shouldn't need to touch the pin again, once you find the position that works best. While at the ramp, keep the motor tilted up while backing into the water then lower it completely and flip the lever to the LOCKED position and off you go.

4.) I'll check the bolt and get back to you.

1-Correct Trim Angle.JPG

Last edited: