Trailer lock?

DK in MN

Cadet
Hello-

New to the forum, new Tahoe owner (2007 Q4 Sport purchased last week). It came with the standard Trailstar trailer and after looking at the tongue of my trailer I'm trying to figure out how one locks it to the truck. On other trailers I've simply replaced the hitch pin with a padlock, but on this trailer the location of the hitch pin is too wide to do that. It's stored elsewhere at the moment so I'm not looking at it now, but it seemed like it had me fairly stumped.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trailer lock?

I'm not sure what you mean by hitch pin on the trailer side and I'm not familiar with a Trailstar trailer, but you can padlock the safety chain to the truck. Probably two locks, one on each end of the chain and put the hasps through a couple of links, not directly to the receiver.

Welcome aboard.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

First off Welcome to the Forum!!

I have this for the trailer when it is disconnected:

125568_400x400.jpg

I use one of these to LOCK the trailer to the hitch when on the truck:

125585_700x700.jpg

They can both be found here...although you can search for something like them that may be cheaper elsewhere...just showing you what I use. A lot of times you can get a whole KIT that will have the receiver hitch lock the trailer lock and the hitch pin lock all together.

Towing Locks + Tow Hitch Pins | Towing | Northern Tool + Equipment

Hope this answers your question,:)

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I use one of these Trailer Accessories - Reese which can accommodate different coupler thicknesses as it has multiple locking positions. It also fits to the coupler tightly enough to make it very hard to use a bolt cutter to remove it.

Sgt_P

Cadet

First off Welcome to the Forum!!

I have this for the trailer when it is disconnected:

View attachment 211640

View attachment 211641

They can both be found here...although you can search for something like them that may be cheaper elsewhere...just showing you what I use. A lot of times you can get a whole KIT that will have the receiver hitch lock the trailer lock and the hitch pin lock all together.

Towing Locks + Tow Hitch Pins | Towing | Northern Tool + Equipment

Hope this answers your question,:)

X2 !

Although I use both when not connected to the Jeep...

DK in MN

Cadet

Thanks for all the input guys. I found just what I needed, and picked up a lock for the removable hitch since I actually had one stolen last year.

mach'er

Cadet

In addition to the pin lock, I have one of those big U shaped Kryptonite bicycle locks that I throw through the hole for the swing away trailer tongue. Any time the boat is off the truck, I fold the tongue and put the lock on there. Thought it was a pretty good idea.

I can't say I think that pin lock is very secure when the boat is on the truck. It seems like one good hit with a hammer would snap that thin little puppy off right at one of the several grooves (for locking various widths of tongues). But I use it anyway. In the end, I just do my best, and made sure my insurance is good to go. Fricken' criminals.

In addition to the ones mentioned here and above, I had a "boot" sorta-type lock for my old boat, but that was a pain to put on/off (had to remove/reinstall one lug bolt, and kept thinking eventually the bolt would break as well).

BiggerDee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use this:
Amazon.com: Master Lock 2848DAT Key Alike Set with Receiver and Coupler Latch Locks, 2-Piece Set: Automotive

Not the hitch pin part, but the unit with the blue tip cover. It's sold separately for about $12, but I don't have the part number. It's extra-wide, and is adjustable, and the best part is that it's stainless. I use it as my securing pin when trailering, and by virtue of the aact that it's a lock, there's your security. I also keep it on my trailer (with the ball lock down) when I have my boat in the garage. If a thief can't connect the trailer to his ball hitch, he's less likely to steal it. I've used it for about 2.5 years now and it works flawlessly. I originally had a plain metal one from Walmart, but the lock on it failed pretty qucikly. SS is harder than carbon (plain) steel too, so that makes it a bit harder to hack off by a thief as well. I ahd originally ordered a different brand, but it wasn't long enough to fit my trailer tongue width, so I ordered this one. Master did a good job designing this one.

jkust

Rear Admiral

View attachment 211641

I have one of those as well. I keep the hitch on the truck all year and spring came, I unlocked the lock to remove the hitch to put my Rock Tamer on to tow and the insides of the lock fell apart in my hand.