Had to tow a boat tonight - how fast?

lfunk11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So we were going to take the boat out of the marina tonight for the season, but decided to wait until the end of the month. Well we decided to go out for a short ride and saw a boat wave us down. His engine was smoking heavily, but not on fire. I towed him back to the marina and got him within 20 ft of his slip and then he dove in and swam the boat to the slip.

How fast can I tow a boat? I have only had the boat for a couple of weeks and I had no clue so I put it into gear and gave it only a slight nudge. Was basically cruising at a no wake speed. I was afraid of pulling out the rope holder (not sure of the technical name - the place to tie the tube/ski rope). Any thoughts on getting his boat into the slip without him having to jump in the water and swim it there? I didn't want to tow it much closer since it could have drifted into other boats since he had no control of the boat. I figure his engine is fried.

The guy was nice and offered some money and I tried to refuse, but he threw some money into the boat. It did make me nervous trying to tow a boat into the marina, when I still get nervous trying to dock my boat.

lfunk11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Had to tow a boat tonight - how fast?

two equally sized ski boats - mine is a 19' and his would be around the same size

Bondo

Staff member

So we were going to take the boat out of the marina tonight for the season, but decided to wait until the end of the month. Well we decided to go out for a short ride and saw a boat wave us down. His engine was smoking heavily, but not on fire. I towed him back to the marina and got him within 20 ft of his slip and then he dove in and swam the boat to the slip.

How fast can I tow a boat? I have only had the boat for a couple of weeks and I had no clue so I put it into gear and gave it only a slight nudge. Was basically cruising at a no wake speed. I was afraid of pulling out the rope holder (not sure of the technical name - the place to tie the tube/ski rope). Any thoughts on getting his boat into the slip without him having to jump in the water and swim it there? I didn't want to tow it much closer since it could have drifted into other boats since he had no control of the boat. I figure his engine is fried.

The guy was nice and offered some money and I tried to refuse, but he threw some money into the boat. It did make me nervous trying to tow a boat into the marina, when I still get nervous trying to dock my boat.

Ayuh,.... Slower is usually Safer,...

The line sees extreme loads at much of any speed,...

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

you did good. I aways tell people I tow in to pull me in if they see me needing a tow.
pull up very slow to the pier , put out you fenders and pull the other boat along side- have person from towed boat climb on your boat and onto pier. untied tow rope and pass the rope to person on the dock. they can pull boat in without getting in water. Slow movements are the key.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tow at no wake speeds.

lfunk11

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok thanks - their are only slips to pull into. Didn't know how to get him in the slip. I think I could have got him closer to a pier/long dock. Oh well it worked out, glad it wasn't too far from the marina. He was lucky though - there were only a few boats out last night.

tpenfield

Staff member

Having been towed by SeaTow once, I did pick up a few pointers . . .

Open waters: tow at a slow speed 5 - 8 mph depending on conditions. Best to tow from 2 points on your boat (Aft cleats) to a single bow point on the disabled boat.

Harbor and Slip areas: tightly secure the disabled boat along side yours with lines & fenders and then you can navigate the boat more easily into tight areas. If the slip does not have access on either side of the boat, then you will have to get the boat as close to the dock as possible and use lines to pull it into the slip.

lfunk11

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Having been towed by SeaTow once, I did pick up a few pointers . . .

Open waters: tow at a slow speed 5 - 8 mph depending on conditions. Best to tow from 2 points on your boat (Aft cleats) to a single bow point on the disabled boat.

Harbor and Slip areas: tightly secure the disabled boat along side yours with lines & fenders and then you can navigate the boat more easily into tight areas. If the slip does not have access on either side of the boat, then you will have to get the boat as close to the dock as possible and use lines to pull it into the slip.

Thinking about it again I think I should have had him come onto my boat and then get him on the dock. Then take a long line from his boat to him - his wife would still be on the boat. The only free space to dock was into a slip so I couldn't pull in side by side. His comment as he was trying to swim the boat into the slip was great - "Isn't owning a boat fun?" :laugh:

agallant80

Commander

When I tow people its at no wake speed. I would hate to damage a boat by trying to get to the dock 10 min faster.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

I was told by my marina mechanic 1000 rpm in my boat when you towing something bigger. I recently had to tow a 20,000 pound boat with my 10,000 pound boat and I called him from the water to check. 2 points off the back if possible was also highly recommended. I had the big boat on a single cleat for a little while and in the very rough water it was not easy.

I believe in boating Karma. One day, you will need a tow. Keep on paying it forward.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

he should not have to swim.

towing two boats of equal size is nothing to worry about--unless it's swamped or you're in storm conditions.

always tow in the center of your wake. If you don't have a bridle for skiing, tie your stern line to each of your stern cleats or eyes, then tie the tow line by a bowline, so it can slide.

Use real lines, not ski ropes. You should have at least two lines, bow and stern, the length of your boat.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

? On the same subject . What length rope would be best for towing ? To long and might drift some, to short and having to stop quickly might be a bit tricky . I've never had to tow or be towed yet so any knowledge would be good.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tow slow. Once you're close to the dock it really depends on the configuration and other boats/ obstacles. Its usually not too hard to paddle in from 20 feet unless there's a lot of wind or current. The side to side lashing would work better in that case.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Slow is best. Remember t he boat behind has no brakes and will keep coming at you for a short distance after you stop or put it in reverse.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Well done lfunk. Good suggestions above, plus he should have had a paddle aboard to get in closer, if not get himself in absent a tow.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

? On the same subject . What length rope would be best for towing ? To long and might drift some, to short and having to stop quickly might be a bit tricky . I've never had to tow or be towed yet so any knowledge would be good.

If you are out in "open" water the longer the rope the better. You don't want to pull them in close until you get towards the dock or are in a tight area with regards to shoreline or obstacles. When I was towing a boat twice my size I used his anchor line and put out about 90 feet. It was rough, the boats were different sizes and I had no concerns of running into anything so all that length helped me ride the swells. I'm sure with smaller boats you could bring them in closer.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I usually tow around 70 mph, sometimes 75... (of course, there are wheels under the boat at the time!) :D

Seriously though, can't echo enough that slower is better. I've towed lots of people, ALWAYS at a very slow speed. I also like to tow from my ski pylon. The boat handles far better and worst case, I can release the rope in a hurry if need be. (the pylon mount is extremely sturdy, not quite as strong as stern hooks but close...) Look at commercial tow boats, they have what amounts to a massive ski pylon mounted amidships.

(for getting people unstuck off sandbars though, its a bridle through the stern eyes.)

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

This has been around for some time but illustrates the need for slow speed boat towing.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

yes longer is better for open water, especially rough water; the rope acts as a schock absorber (ocean tugboats even have the cable bowed down to or under water by design). And your towed boat's steering and tracking is better.

Once it's tracking in the center and if you are in open water you can increase the speed--even to a plane if your good at it and have the right boats. Remember, though, he doesn't have brakes!

I want at least 20 feet. I have my 20' stern line tied cleat to cleat, so that's about 6' behind me at the center, then I tie his 20' bow line to it, or better, more of his anchor line. Problem is, often the boat you assist isn't properly equipped--yours better be if you hang around here! Thus the ski-line tow which makes both boat owners look like idiots when they get to shore.

One should never have to swim to dock a boat or at the ramp. That's just wrong-and often dangerous (barnacles anyone?). Of course, your boat, being properly equipped since you hang out here, has a paddle. His obviously didn't; hopefully he'll figure that out and get one this week.

As others said, once you get close to shore, tighten up. Approaching the pier I may put his bow line on my stern cleat. I may bring him up to the pier, or get him going the right direction and cast him loose to drift/coast in. Or use the along-side method. Just be ready to untie, have your crew well instructed, know how to throw a coiled line and hit your target. Communicate your plans long before you get to the pier.

As to landing him, a lot depends on the pier design, currents, space, assistance, etc. A boat hook, even a short one, is a great tool for this that has worked for centuries; I always carry one but I also use boats that are designed to stow that type of equipment.

I've done a lot of towing small boats in my day since I was about 13; it's just one of those skills that a boater should acquire. Hopefully the advice here will be some substitute for hands-on experience.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Some good points in here!

I treat it all as Karma, I have a 16YO boat so sooner or later it's going to be me (and it has been on other boats I've had).

Also- The towie- should use the bow eye if possible, I've had people attach the tow line to a cleat and it's not really designed for towing- too high off the water, generally off center, not as stout as the bow eye.