What to do with water from test tank

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have several outboard motors that I run in a tank. The older ones that require 24:1 gas/oil mixture really make quite a mess. Does anyone have a decent way to dispose of this water/oil?

bkhealey

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What to do with water from test tank

Great Question! I would like to know that as well, I have a 50-1 and it leaves a nice mess as well. I guess just dump it in the street, I mean we are running it in a lake right? At least the run off water from the street gets treated.

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe there is a relatively simple way to separate out a lot of the oil without making a gigantic mess.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Storm water isn't treated. It ends up in a river, lake or ocean.

You might see if an auto parts store has some oil absorbing mats. Let the oil rise to the top of the tank and use the mat to take the oil or most of it off the top.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that's about all you can do; let it settle/float and do what you can. If it's just an occasional thing, dump it around your land, but if you have a shop, then deal with it professionally.

Sure, we leave the same oil when we use the boats but there is a reason--we're using the boat. Dumping waste is different.

Never pour anything into the storm drain system (including the street) that you wouldn't/shouldn't dump directly.

Seems to me that oily water would be better for flushing motors in the first place--like spraying wd40 up in there--so why not reuse it intentionally? I can't see how it could hurt; it could help; cheaper than salt-away!

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great for gravel driveways.....

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i would just re-use the water and just top it off when it gets low but 1) i hate it when i drop a screwdriver or worse yet a part in the tank of oily water 2) wiping the oil mess off a lower unit is a pain 3) i'd like to deal with the problem as responsibly as i can.

the real problem is not getting the water from the oil. its getting the oil out of the tank. i've tried syphoning the water from the bottom, but that leaves a tank coated with oil. need to figure out how to skim the oil off the top. i'd really prefer not to use my shop vac for that!

i dump the water on my gravel parking area. if i could get the oil out, i could take it to a auto parts store for disposal.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

We have a cabin in the mountains, quite close to the Quaker State oil fields. Right on our property is an old defunct oil well, that was last pumped in the 1950's. It is safely capped, but I have access to it. I "recycle" all stuff like that back to where it originally came from.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps you guys are running them a lot longer that I do. I just add a little Dawn and dump it on the lawn with no visible affect.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Oil sorb pads work quite well. They absorb oil,not water. Float them on top,take them out the next day,dispose at your local recycling center.
Grub

nwcove

Admiral

Oil sorb pads work quite well. They absorb oil,not water. Float them on top,take them out the next day,dispose at your local recycling center.
Grub

yep, and as colby mentioned....a drop or two of dish soap will make the oil go into one area in the tank.

bkhealey

Seaman Apprentice

I love the Dawn idea! I have been working on mine a lot so need to run it a lot and just don't want that oil to go into my intakes.

Thanks for the idea!

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll have to try putting some Dawn in there. Maybe that will get some of the oil off the inside of the tank. Matter face, I think I'll run out there and put some in there right now.

The best I have come up with seems to work ok. I carefully lay kleenex on the surface and then fish it out with some needle nose pliers. Toss the oily mess in a bag. Toss the bag in the fire pit.

I do idle quite a while sometimes especially when I am getting ready to take a motor out on the water for the first time. That and I ran a 50:1 33hp with 25:1 for a while since it hadnt run in many years.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Why not just dump the water/oil mixture in a local river, lake or stream? That's how it's done while boating. :rolleyes:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Why not just dump the water/oil mixture in a local river, lake or stream? That's how it's done while boating. :rolleyes:

That's a logical approach, but one that could get you fined if you got caught. Just like spilling a few ounces of gas at the marina gas pump. Technically, the spill has to be reported to the USCG.

Gas stations have spots where oil inevitably gets on the pavement, grass, stones, etc. When a station is torn down or remodeled all of that soil has to be scooped up by a hazmat crew for disposal. That's why even though many of us dump stuff on the driveway, its really against the law (I only do it on my property after midnight.....LOL)

nwcove

Admiral

Gas stations have spots where oil inevitably gets on the pavement, grass, stones, etc. When a station is torn down or remodeled all of that soil has to be scooped up by a hazmat crew for disposal. That's why even though many of us dump stuff on the driveway, its really against the law (I only do it on my property after midnight.....LOL)

lol.....just imagine what a typical mall parking lot dumps into the environment........thousands of cars per day, many of which drip various fluids, which all end up in the storm drains.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Dish soap encapsulates the oil,then it sinks to the bottom of the lake/streams. Where it remains for many years. A small fuel spill,few ounces-the coast guard recomends to leave it evaporate off the surface,larger spills get the boom treatment to capture and remove as much as possible. Recently had a boat purging fuel @ the marna,the owner thought he did the right thing by booming it. Nope! Gasoline captured,makes the explosion hazard worse,the fuel cant spread out and evaporate quickly,fumes/spark... Boom! Large spills boom it,get the hazmat team,pay the fines....small let alone.
Grub

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had a feeling this would come down to the dumpers and the thumpers (of the environmentalist bible). i'm a thumper. i don't dump oil. i keep my vehicles in good condition and don't allow them to drip fluids all over the place. and i plan to get rid of my 24:1 motors.

i do understand where folks are coming from when they say that the tiny bit of oil in my test tank pales in comparison with the fluids leaked out all over the place by outboards and vehicles.

but i find it disgusting to dump the oil laden water out on the ground. collecting it off the surface with kleenex and then burning it is the best solution i can find.