white rope wheel question?

bigmcgiv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok i got a very moldy and rusty stained wheel, how to clean it up to bright white

barato2

Commander
Re: white rope wheel question?

i assume the rust is where the plastic has cracked away and exposed the steel core? this may be tough to neutralize so the rust doesn't continue to crack it open. if you can neutralize the rust (phosphoric acid? not sure what it would do to theplastic; test 1st), use JBweld or similar to fill cracks and rebuild contours, and then paint it white with Krylon fusion (bonds to plastic, they say)

you might be better off to go with a replacement wheel unless you want the "period" look

bigmcgiv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i want the period look. i was thinking media blastin with a soft compound like walnut or pecan.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you do any blasting, you will end up with a steel hub, three steel spokes and a steel ring. If any plastic survives, any detail will be gone. Google "steering wheel restoration kits".

Cleaning is bleach, soap and water with a stiff brush. A couple of trips through the dishwasher helps too. Don't tell the Admiral, they don't like non-dishes in the D/W. :laugh: After repairing any cracks, Rustoleum Pro will do the trick for paint. Be sure to allow plenty of dry/cure time.

bigmcgiv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well im cleaning it with awsome and it is working great i will post before and after pics.

bigmcgiv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well im cleaning it with awsome and it is working great i will post before and after pics.
well the awsome did so so on the raised surface but the cracks not so good, so its in a bleach bath the mrs. agreed to it because would have to clean the bathroom and she didnt have to.

bigmcgiv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

a couple more treatments and should be good. if not plastic paint will work.