1991 OMC 4.3l Starter replacement

Hey guys so I am planning on replacing the starter on my 4.3l OMC cobra and I have seen plenty of threads on diagnosing the problem but not many on replacing the starter itself, I was just wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks that could help me? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1991 OMC 4.3l Starter replacement

Hey guys so I am planning on replacing the starter on my 4.3l OMC cobra and I have seen plenty of threads on diagnosing the problem but not many on replacing the starter itself, I was just wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks that could help me? Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Get 1 of the tiny PM motor starters in the Chevy bolt pattern ya need,....

It's Never easy gettin' at the starter, 'n holdin' a 5lb'er, vs; a 20 lb'er is Noticeable,...
And,... they got More Power,...

If ya got the staggered pattern starter, that uses the Long bolts,...
Mercruiser now has starter bolts, with 1/2" heads, insteada the usual 9/16" head,...
Makes gettin' the socket on 'em easier,...

'n disconnect the battery 1st, of course,.... ;)

Thanks man, Ive got one of the smaller starter motors already and I'm planning on swapping them out tomorrow

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I've had mine out a few times, disconnect the batt as noted and get a long handeled ratchet to reach the bolts. They are way back under the back end of the block. It's not too bad of a job, you can
look to see if you have enough clearance under the engine hopefully there is not a stringer in the way.

masterg2

Recruit

Make sure you put something underneath to catch the bolt/nuts/washers because we all know there's a little bit of oil down below and when one falls down, lights out. Nothing harder than trying to tighten a bolt/nut with your oily hands.