Mercruiser 1997 5.7 Weak Spark

sophieb

Cadet
Hi. I have 1997 Mercruiser V8 5.7 with Thunderbolt V and same problem as you. Were you able to fix yours? Thank you.
My engine will not start.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser 1995 5.7 Weak Spark

Hello Sophieb and :welcome:

As this poster hasn't replied for more than 3 months it's probably best you start a new thread of your own. When you do, please include the engine serial number...

Chris.....

EDIT: Gobble, gobble, gobble.... :doh:

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Hi. I have 1997 Mercruiser V8 5.7 with Thunderbolt V and same problem as you. Were you able to fix yours? Thank you.
My engine will not start.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Now ya got a thread of yer own,....

Tell Us 'bout yer motor, 'n the problems yer havin', 'n what you've done 'bout it,..??

sophieb

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 1997 5.7 Weak Spark

Back up 018.jpgThank you for your warm welcome ;-)

I have v8 mercruiser with serial number: 0K170237
SO far I had changed coil and distributor sensor. My engine plastic cover said I should have Thunderbolt V. Ignition has a small ( cigarette box size) black box mounted in the back. There are 2 connectors that go in.
I did not have power to the Coil + but I found my safety switch was at fault so I replaced it. Now I have 13.5 V with the key on and about 9.5V when cranking. spark seems very weak and yellow. Cleaned all connectors on each end. Engine cranks OK but will not start. I tried new fuel from a separate canister no luck. One think I did not check is a cylinder pressure. Engine ran fine 2 weeks ago but since I washed my bilge I can't started. I hope someone can help me please. :) Thanks.

Marcel

Last edited:

achris

Last edited:

achris

Try disconnecting the tacho. It may be dragging the spark down. Disconnect it from the coil, the gray wire...

Chris......

LiquidC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The spark should not be yellow, it should be a bright blue color. I would grab a brand new spark plug & see if the spark is better. Your fuel/air mix is probably not igniting with a yellow spark.

The best plug is the AC Delco MR43T, Napa auto parts normally stocks them if there is one around you. Gap 'em to 0.034" too :joyous:

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member

Also, where are you checking for spark? at the coil or spark plug wires?

Try pulling out some spark plugs for a visual of their condition.

Did you install a new Rotor when you did the new ignition sensor under the distributor cap? The rotor can not be damaged in any way shape or form for things to work correctly. And typically the rotor can be easily damaged upon the removal process.

achris

The best place to check for spark, initially, is the main lead coming from the coil. Unplug it from the centre of the distributor and plug a single spark plug in to it, or a proper spark gap checker. If you have good spark there, then the problem is in the high tension side downstream of the coil. If the spark is still weak, change the lead and check again. Still weak? change the coil.

At 9.5v cranking, I would also be checking all the power lead connections, both positive and negative, from the battery to the engine. And by 'check', I mean remove, clean and replace nice and tight...

Chris.........

sophieb

Cadet

Thanks all for your replies. I did test my coil spark buy now after troubleshooting and following that diagram for Thunderbolt V it looks like my distributor sensor went bad. I purchased it less than a week ago. Is it possible that main unit is bad and kills sensors? Thanks

NHGuy

Captain

All that you have done makes sense. I am wondering if washing the bilge was the original cause of the problem and how wet you may have made the electric stuff. Did you recheck all the grounds and all the contacts? You want them free of corrosion and dry. Your battery needs to have a fairly strong cold cranking strength too. Have you charged it during these tests?
Just a few basics. Sometimes it's the little stuff.

achris

I rechecked all cables and connections. Cleaned. I am at the point of purchasing new ignition system. I found one here 5.7L GM Delco Voyager EST marine electronic distributor kit. Would this make it work better? Thanks

Hello Marcel,

No, that is a fixed advance curve ignition system and not a very good one at that. You have a Thunderbolt V system, one of the best ignition systems available. The Delco system will not allow the timing to advance, in response to engine load and fuel quailty, to get the most power and best efficiency from your engine. Nor will it retard the timing, in the event of fuel knock/detonation, to prevent engine damage. You would also need to do some serious wiring changes to get the shift interrupt system to work properly. I know the literature says it is a direct replacement, but they don't tell you that there is a few hours of re-wiring to do.... All you need to do is take a step back and start to look at things a little differently.

I would do the following. (start at the beginning again). The first thing I would do is put all the original parts back on. I would then do a compression test to confirm it's not a mechanical problem.

Do you have a proper spark gap tester? If you do, hook it directly to the coil and check the spark quailty there. (I did ask you to do this earlier but got no answer, so assume you haven't done that yet)... If you don't have a spark gap tester, just get an old spark plug and open it up to about 5 mm (1/4") and use that. Make sure it's on the engine block properly and use that. Also make sure the distributor is propely grounded, as is the coil....

Then run though the TB-V troubleshooting chart again, each step in the right order and exactly as the chart says.... If you'd like, please post the result of each step here... ;)

Just be aware that if the problem is not the ignition system, buying a new Delco system will not fix the 'no start' problem.

Let's do some proper and logical troubleshooting before you spend heaps of money that may or may not fix the problem. I have always found that approaching a fault and fixing it properly, as opposed to just throwing parts at it until it goes away, is the quickest and most cost effective way to get back on the water again...

Looking forward to helping you get this problem sovled...

Chris..........
(I will be travelling back home and therefore unable to respond between Sunday night and Monday night. So just hang tight, I WILL get back to you.)

Last edited:

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check your slave solenoid to verify you have battery voltage to the coil while cranking. Bill

achris

Check your slave solenoid to verify you have battery voltage to the coil while cranking. Bill

This is a Thunderbolt 5 ignition system, they don't use a ballast resistor and a slave with an 'I' terminal. The ignition system recieves full battery voltage all the time.

sophieb

Cadet

I get over 10 V while cranking on + on the coil

sophieb

Cadet

I checked all 8 cylindersand they are all around 110-120.
I am going to start from scratch and change main battery cables and then all conectors woll be cleaned. Wish me luck. I will post news.

achris

I checked all 8 cylindersand they are all around 110-120.
I am going to start from scratch and change main battery cables and then all conectors woll be cleaned. Wish me luck. I will post news.

Good luck.... I'm awaiting news... ;)

sophieb

Cadet

ok here it is.
I changed all new spark plugs and engine started for about a minute. I think now there is a problem with my timing and carburetor. I can not start the engine again now but at least there is a spark.
One more thing. I put my old distributor sensor back and it works ;-)
I rebuild my carb today so I will try again in the morning. I will keep you all posted.