Performance Question of Renegade vs. TXP

stratosmike

Cadet
Friends,

I have a 1994 201 Stratos XL Pro with a 1994 Evinrude 225 with a 13.5 x 25 Renegade. Runs great, looking to purchase a spare prop and finding it hard to find another Renegade. Someone said that a 24' TXP would be better, anyone have any experience with this.

Looking forward to seeing your comments.

Thanks,

Mike

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Performance Question of Renegade vs. TXP

Friends,

I have a 1994 201 Stratos XL Pro with a 1994 Evinrude 225 with a 13.5 x 25 Renegade. Runs great, looking to purchase a spare prop and finding it hard to find another Renegade. Someone said that a 24' TXP would be better, anyone have any experience with this.

Looking forward to seeing your comments.

Thanks,

Mike

The Renegade is a very dated bass boat prop. Most guys are running Mercury Tempests (3 blades) or the Trophy (4 blades) on bass boats now days. You would just need the Johnson/Evinrude hub kit. The TXP you mentioned would also would also run better than your Renegade.

What kind of speeds are you seeing with your current setup?

stratosmike

Cadet

Dan,

I am getting high 60's 68,69... and the rpms seems really good. I wouldn't mind going to a Tempest or Trophy.... which one do you think would be better for my set up. Don't load the boat down too much...

Mike

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Dan,

I am getting high 60's 68,69... and the rpms seems really good. I wouldn't mind going to a Tempest or Trophy.... which one do you think would be better for my set up. Don't load the boat down too much...

Mike

Mike,

I would run the Tempest. It will give you lots of bow lift and should allow you to run the motor a litter higher than Renegade. I would expect the combo to get you into the low 70's.

stratosmike

Cadet

Dan,

what pitch tempest would you recommend?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Dan,

what pitch tempest would you recommend?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

I'm guessing your turning a 25P now. I would recommend 25 or 26 pitch. You want to get to the top of your WOT RPM range with the boat loaded. There are a few placed (like propgods.com) that will let you swap the prop with another one for a small fee if you get the incorrect pitch.

Here's a little more info:
Stratos 201 PE setup