Question on a Evinrude 200

nyscuba

Recruit
Have a 1988 Evinrude 200 VRO Backed it into the water and started motor at dock motor fired right up (was testing after having carbs rebuilt) the motor fired right up and then the alarm went off shut down motor turned the key back on and the alarm was still going off let the motor sit for 10 minutes turned key no alarm started the motor and 30 sec to a minute later alarm came on then went off then stayed on I have water coming out near the back from the cooling system but when I pull it out of the water there is some warm water draining out of the mid section. Did not know if this was cooling alarm or if this alarm controlled both cooling and low oil have just below 1/2 tank of oil in oil tank. Thanks for the help

daselbee

Commander
Re: Question on a Evinrude 200

Could have been the steep angle of the boat in respect to the oil tank sender. But easy way to tell, it is just a bit of work. There are five tan (some with color stripes) sensor wires involved. each one indicates a different fault. There are two tan wires (one on each head) that indicate overtemp. simply unplug the leads one at a time, and see if horn stops. If it is overheating, this will identify the wire that is causing your alarm. Likewise, unplug the tan wire coming from the oil tank (will have a color stripe on it), then unplug the VRO connector which contains a tan wire with stripe, then unplug the connector that comes from the vacuum switch which is right next to the VRO pump. Do these all one at a time, and you will find the offending line that is triggering the alarm. Use your head!!! Go for the most likely line first, which if I were you, would be the oil tank line. Then put your hand on each head to check for overtemp. You should be able to hold it there for a few seconds until it becomes too uncomfortable to touch. If heads are too hot, unplug the tan wire on the head to check if it is the offending circuit. One other thing, this works great in REVERSE also. To test the system to make sure the warnings are working, simply GROUND each tan wire. For each wire grounded, the alarm should sound. The 1996 and above Systems Check system is a bit different. The engine MUST BE RUNNING, for the alarms to behave properly when testing in this manner.

Last edited:

nyscuba

Recruit

Thanks For the answers will test more tonight one quick question if it was an oil alarm would the alarm still be going off with the key just in the on position and the engine not running touched the starboard side heads and the were warm but not hot

daselbee

Commander

Yes, on your motor, if any of the tan lines are grounded, the alarm will sound with key on and engine not running. When any sensor goes active, it grounds the tan line attached to it. Going by what you just posted, if I had warm heads, a solid tone alarm, with key on, but after it ran for a while, and then no alarm after it cooled, I would be looking at the temp senders first. Maybe one is triggering the alarm, even tho it is not hot. Simple to test, unplug each tan line from the sensor at the top of head, determine which side is causing alarm, then determine if it is actually HOT or if just a false alarm due to a bad sensor. You get the idea..... I am putting a lot of detail in here for other readers.....