73 65hp tilt and trim question

LAndrus

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just purchased a 65ESL73R. This motor sat for three years before I purchased it. I plan on doing some routine pm before I put it on my boat. This afternoon I was able to get the tilt and trim reconnected while the motor is on a stand. It took some time but I was able to get the motor fully down. The trim motor is very quiet and seems to spin quite slowly. It seems to spin even slower and won't lift the motor before it shuts down. My existing wiring has what appears to be a 30A circuit breaker attached which gets very hot to the touch.

Why does the circuit breaker get so hot? Does the CB even need to be inline or can it be removed?

Why does the motor seem to struggle so much to lift the motor? Fluid level? If so, besides OMC fluid, what is the best substitute fluid?

Thanks for the help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 65hp tilt and trim question

You can also use ATF Dextron II. Sounds like you have a bad motor or loose connections.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Does the battery you are using have a good charge in it?

LAndrus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the connections at the battery and the switch appear to be good, and the battery was freshly charged. Guess I should put my meter on the battery and ensure that it really is strong. Still not sure about that 30 circuit breaker. None of the diagrams I've looked at show one.

RRitt

Captain

Hotwire the trim motor directly to a strong 12V battery making sure that all connections are clean & solid. A healthy trim motor should draw 10-15A on a stand. It should sustain good rpm throughout the entire range and should not exhibit much noise or vibration. The noise you hear should be from the pump gears and not from the motor. If the motor is noisy, vibrates, or does not deliver adequate torque then it should be discarded. Chinese motors are $70-$150 and of adequate quality to last 3-8 years. A poorly repaired trim motor will usually require $50-$120 in parts plus 2-4 hours of time and last one or two seasons.

LAndrus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hotwire the trim motor directly to a strong 12V battery making sure that all connections are clean & solid. A healthy trim motor should draw 10-15A on a stand. It should sustain good rpm throughout the entire range and should not exhibit much noise or vibration. The noise you hear should be from the pump gears and not from the motor. If the motor is noisy, vibrates, or does not deliver adequate torque then it should be discarded. Chinese motors are $70-$150 and of adequate quality to last 3-8 years. A poorly repaired trim motor will usually require $50-$120 in parts plus 2-4 hours of time and last one or two seasons.

I took your advice and wired the motor directly to a fully charged battery. It began with a very loud noise and then settled into what I think would be considered a normal sound. Problem is the motor didn't raise with either the blue or green wire connected to the motor. The loud squawk noise returned every so often.

Where can I find a good replacement motor for a Calco 172859 setup?

LAndrus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I read somewhere that the Calco pump wasn't worth repairing. However, until I can find a replacement, would it be worthwhile to take it apart, clean it, and put it back together? How difficult a task is working on a trim pump? I'm fairly mechanically inclined.

Read a post today about replacing the Calco pump with an OMC Stringer pump. Will the stringer pump assembly bolt onto my current Calco mounting? The couple I see on Ebay are $200-$300+

Last edited:

LAndrus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Took a shot and checked the fluid level in the tilt motor. Sure enough, it started working and sounded better when I added some fluid. Amazing what happens when their is fluid in the system.