70 hp johnson tilt and trim nightmare

ebuchho

Cadet
I have a 1988 70 hp johnson tilt and trim going up works great then on down trim cylinders go down before main cylinder pulls engine down thenup again trim cylinders go up before engine tilts up very annoying (replaced separator valve changed fluid bleed out system and top off corrct level no change) please help

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 70 hp johnson tilt and trim nightmare

That's caused by the steering tube nuts being too tight and they're binding somewhat. This creates friction which holds the engine in a tilt position due to the tightness. The engine normally lowers first due to gravity, then after dropping to the trim rams... hydraulic pressure takes effect.

The solution is to loosen one of the steering tube nuts a turn or so, then hold a 2x4 piece of lumber against the side of the swivel bracket, hitting that piece of wood with a good size hammer to jar the swivel bracket sideways slightly sideways. Grease the fittings after the problem is solved and snug up that loose nut as needed.

ebuchho

Cadet

Nailed it on the head removed pin that attaches main ram to swivel bracket and engine stayed in up position give little push and it would move I'm soaking steering nuts with lube and will smack it around a little will let you know what happens your awsome thank you for help

ebuchho

Cadet

I loosen tilt tube nuts smacked around a little works perfect thank you Joe

clanton

Rear Admiral

Joe, you are too good.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes, but how about Dad ???? LOL.

ebuchho

Cadet

Now i can take boat hope it idles good lat time out not so good replaced some hoses and tees for carbs and link and sync crossing my fingers