How to manually lift a alpha 1 outdrive?

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class
In the event that my trim fails, how could I raise the outdrive manually?

This has never happened but I want to be prepared if it does.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: How to manually lift a alpha 1 outdrive?

What is your end goal? To be able to trailer the boat home? Unfortunately, if your trim system fails completely, about the only recourse is to pull the trim ram attachment rod (above the prop)...takes a couple 5/8" wrenches. Then lift the drive to whatever position you want and then tie it up there (along with the rams). Yes...can be done in the water (eg, at the ramp, on the trailer), but not very convenient.

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is your end goal? To be able to trailer the boat home? Unfortunately, if your trim system fails completely, about the only recourse is to pull the trim ram attachment rod (above the prop)...takes a couple 5/8" wrenches. Then lift the drive to whatever position you want and then tie it up there (along with the rams). Yes...can be done in the water (eg, at the ramp, on the trailer), but not very convenient.

Yes my goal at that point would be to get the boat home. Do you have to bleed out any fluid before you detach the rods?

Bondo

Staff member

Yes my goal at that point would be to get the boat home. Do you have to bleed out any fluid before you detach the rods?

Nope,... You mechanically disconnect, not hydraulically,...

floorboy

Seaman Apprentice

I ought my pump said it has a manual override. Ill have to look when I get home

Bondo

Staff member

Mason78 said:
I cannot see where to mechanically disconnect the ram? Would you be able to send me a pic?

I know this probably rarely happens But I'm the guy that stuff happens to so I like to be prepared. :joyous:

Ayuh,.... At the aft end of the rams, it's attached to the aft end of the outdrive housin',....

Remove the clips, or nuts, 'n Pull the pin that ties the outdrive housin' to the ends of the trim rams,....

It's then Mechanically disconnected,.... no spilt hyd. oil,.... just don't loose the aft pin hardware,...