1980 35hp checking water supply

relics hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New to evinrude and trying to bring this one back to life. I replaced the water pump the other day and I have just gotten it running for this first few times this week. The telltail seems to be slow to start running and tends to just dribble. It will spray at a 1/2 throttle or more, but not every time. I have replaced the hose and also run clear test hose off the elbow, to see the water flow. I am used to a strong telltail for the old mercury and I am not sure if this dribble at lower idle is OK. I've watched videos some, show a slow to start dribble and some show a young stud. Still adjusting the idle and throttle so I am not running it long but I am apprehensive to have a problem and not realize it. I have removed the lower end and checked that everything went together right. Water is coming out the exhaust, and prop. How much of a change is to be expected before the thermostat opens and after, in regards to water pressure?
Please advise, thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1980 35hp checking water supply

If the cooling system is in good shape you should get a good stream out of the tell-tale pretty quick at idle. How is the flow out of the clear hose, did you check to see if the fitting on the block is clear?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Get the cobwebs out of the tell tale hose that will probably do the trick.

relics hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tube down to the telltail has been replaced, due to cracks not blockage. I also ran a wire into the block a short distance and also blew on the hose. When blowing into the block I can hear bubbles down in the lower unit. The motor is in a tub by the way. Is there any other connection that maybe failing and not keeping the water pressure high enough?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Running in a tub, how far is the water above the water pump, at least 6"?

relics hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Running in a tub, how far is the water above the water pump, at least 6"?

It's a 33 gal garbage can full to the brimm the pump is about 8-9" under water, it also did this on muff's which is why it's in the can now.

relics hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I assure everyone the telltail is not blocked, tube has been replaced because it was cracked. not blocked. I have blown into the block and hear bubbles down the lower area. Could it be that the thermostat is missing or stuck open? I have a stream at a higher idle.

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you will need Quicktime-plugin to watch it in browser. On Windows Media Player (or Zune) are able to play it locally after downloading first. The video has been originally shot with Nokia N9 Linux mobile.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

It may be time to check the water pump and replace the impeller and then while you do that,make sure all the lines are clean and well connected