The wife is mad. Help.

khewell

Cadet
Ok so I'm in the dog house with the wife. I bought a 1975 hydra sport hydra flight bass boat without getting her ok. Boat is very sound, transom great shape, floor solid, engine runs good. I thought what a good buy...... WRONG!!!!! The paint is faded and the plastic carpet is peeling up and rotted. The wife will not set foot on it till it looks better.
Where can I find the plastic carpet?
And
Is there anything I can do short of repainting the boat to help the paint?

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: The wife is mad. Help.

So you didn't know the paint was faded and the plastic carpet is peeling up and rotted when you drug it home? Sounds like you thought it WAS a good buy.

Even if you fix it up will your wife go on it? Does she fish?

LK

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I think if you dig a little deeper you'll find that your boat isn't as sound as you think.

Home Depot and Lowes both have the plastic indoor/outdoor carpet.

You can try an oxidation removing wax like Nu Finish car/bpoat wax on the paint.

HoosierShooter

Seaman Apprentice

Post up some pictures, many here can help. If it's gel coat it can likely be saved with some work, search for gel coat restoring here or on youtube for some good tips. You can get the plastic carpet most likely at one of the big box stores, or put in any outdoor carpet if you so desire. I know the mad wife thing, I'm going through it now. I talked to mine about it when the boat price was much higher than what I actually paid for it and she said hell no. Then the guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I told her I was buying it. Needless to say, it's been a little chilly around here, but she'll get over it. :)

fishrdan

Admiral

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission....

Post up pics of the new boat so we can see what all the fuss is about.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If the HydraSport bass boat has metal flake gelcoat that's in very poor condition, it is not an easy fix, unless you go w/ paint.

Yep pix.

Good luck w/ the Admiral. <<< Maybe the promotion to commanding the fleet will be sufficient to start the healing.... :happy:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

If you're hoping to assuage the anger you've provoked with a possibly impulsive boat purchase, you should just start praying now that it's not a lengthy, obsessive and expensive "good deal" turned full restoration project. That'll be a long, simmering rage. Ask me how I know.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Ok so I'm in the dog house with the wife. I bought a 1975 hydra sport hydra flight bass boat without getting her ok. Boat is very sound, transom great shape, floor solid, engine runs good. I thought what a good buy...... WRONG!!!!! The paint is faded and the plastic carpet is peeling up and rotted. The wife will not set foot on it till it looks better.
Where can I find the plastic carpet?
And
Is there anything I can do short of repainting the boat to help the paint?

OK let me get this straight...
38 year old boat that you say the guts are in great shape but the visual is faded and rotting?
Has the previous owner provided proof of a complete restoration and then just let the rest of it go to pot?
Sorry man, something is not adding up here...
Did you buy this sight unseen on Evil Bay?
You might be able to pretty it up for the wife, but for us, we are gonna need proof that the structure is really as sound as you are saying it is...
If you make it nice for the Admiral and after she gets to liking it enough to go out on, then you find out that it might need a full resto...you had better be wearing full body armor...
We really NEED pictures...

khewell

Cadet

So you didn't know the paint was faded and the plastic carpet is peeling up and rotted when you drug it home? Sounds like you thought it WAS a good buy. Even if you fix it up will your wife go on it? Does she fish?LK[/QUOTE

Yes I knew the paint was faded and the carpet was peeling. I spent 2 hours in every crack and crevis making sure it was sound and not junk. Yes it needs a little cosmetic work. And all the wife is asking for is a little shine and some carpet that won't stick to her wet feet.
Yes she does fish.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sooo, what makes you think the transom is sound? What did you do or have you done to confirm it is rock solid? What motor does it have? Have you lifted the motor and stood on the lower unit and bounce on it to confirm there is no flex in the transom? As already stated, Pics will really help us to help you.

ailurion

Cadet

Cut your losses man, sell your wife and call it a day.

kfa4303

Banned

Put your Big Boy pants on and tell her to deal with it, or stay the $#%^ off the boat.

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hydra Sport boats are nice boats, but faded gelcoat and rotted carpet can be signs of lurking issues. Not what you want to hear, but when you peel back the carpet, pay attention to the decking.

tpenfield

Staff member

If all you have to do is throw in a Home Depot outdoor carpet and coat the thing with PoliGlow to make it shine, then you really don't have much to worry about.

Okielure

Cadet

Being in the dog house is no fun, but there is light at the doorway. I'm certainly no expert like some on this forum, but Collinite 920 cleaner and 925 wax will help with your paint pronlems. If it's in terrible shape, you might try wet sanding then reapply the products. This might take several applications if its as bad as you sound, but keep after it. Collinite will restore the shine. The bottles should last an entire season if used properly.