'81 16ft baja with a merc

mrklean

Cadet
Hey guys,

Looking into getting another boat. I've come from two aluminum fishing boats. A '78 16ft lund with a Merc 50hp and a mid 80s 18ft Sea Nymph Fish and Ski with a 80hp Merc.

My interests have taken a turn lately and I am looking into the more recreational sport side of boating. I.e. Go fast and have fun.

So in came this Baja. 1981 16ft with a 115 Merc assuming close to same year. Would this be one of the Infamous Tower of Powers?

What should I look for in one of these boats? I know to watch out for rotten or soggy fiberglass. But besides tryng to spot dark fiberglass and feel for wet and soft spots I'm not sure.

Boats said to be in good shape but missing a tach and a radio. Also may need a different pitch prop. Haven't seen it in person but the pics look good though I haven't seen the interior directly.

Pics here. http://imgur.com/a/UcFXv

For about $1500 think it's worth it?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '81 16ft baja with a merc

For that price it's a great deal. That boat is in real good shape.

Re: '81 16ft baja with a merc

If nothing else push and pull real hard on the lower unit and make sure the transom doesn't flex, not even one little bit. See if you can get a test ride also. $1500 would even be a reasonable price if that were a project boat. I love that style of boat, as that vintage Baja is very similar to early Checmates (early Baja's were built in old Checkmate molds in fact).

Last edited: