Need advice on new purchase

Fnet

Cadet
I am new to the world of boating and am interested in buying a new 16 ft Bowliner Elements with 60 HP Mercury, alternatively a Bowrider 160 with 90 HP Mercury. The Bowrider is fitted with a carpet mounted on the inside floor. I am concerned that this carpet could create problems down the line if it doesn't dry out completely. The boat will be stored indoors without a cover. The 60 HP motor seems a bit underpowered. Does anyone have any advice which would be the better buy? - (both are close in price).
Thanks so much for any advice.

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Need advice on new purchase

The carpet should be an outdoor carpet and should be made to dry quickly, so that should not be a problem. What it really comes down to is the condition of the boats and motors. A sea trial will let you know if the 60hp is underpowered for the vessel.

Motors:
Do they idle smoothly
Do they have good compression
Do they start easily
Do they have any maintenance records

Boats:
Are they in good condition
Do they have any soft spots on the deck or transom
Do they have any cracking around the transom
Can you see under the deck to the flotation, stringers, etc. Is there any sign of waterlogging or rotting

There are many things to look at and if you don't know what you are looking for, either find a knowledgeable boater friend, or better yet, pay a good marine mechanic or boat surveyor to look the boat over and sea trial it with you. The money you spend there could save you a whole lot of money, time, and aggravation down the road.

Good luck with your choice.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Given those options I would prefer the bowrider. I like the full windshield and layout on the Bowrider over the Element. Bowrider is also going to perform significantly better with the 90 on it. I wouldn't worry about the carpet drying out. Leaving it out in the sun a few hours before putting it up should dry the carpet and if you can't do that put a dehumidifier in your garage to speed up the drying.

I bet you'd be happier with a 90 hp engine. I really really don't like underpowered boats :D

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Boattest.com tested both boats with the 60HP 4 stroke. They got 29MPH out of the Element and 33MPH out of the Bowrider. So I would suspect that the Bowrider would way out perform the Element when rigged with a 90HP Optimax.

agallant80

Commander

It appears that the element is designed for the crows who just wants to gas and go. If that fits your style then go for the element. If not than I would go for the bowrider.