3.0 Alpha cutting out at 2000 RPM, runs great at idle and wide open

Todd87

Recruit
I have a 2001 Stingray with a Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha that is cutting out (acting like it is running out of gas) at 2000 RPM. It runs great at idle and wide open, but acts up mid throttle. I've replaced the manual fuel pump and filter, cleaned the in cab filter and sprayed cab. cleaner into the carb. I've put fuel stabilizer in the tank with no help. I don't know what to try next.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 3.0 Alpha cutting out at 2000 RPM, runs great at idle and wide open

:welcome: to iboats

If it acts up at a steady 2000 rpm you may need to accomplish a real good rebuild of the carb, and may be easier to just replace it. If it has trouble throttling up past the 2000 rpm may be the accelerator pump.

What does it do at 2500 and 3000 rpm?
If you look down the throte of the carb, engine is off, someone pushes the throttle forward. Do you see to steady streams of fuel going into the carb?

Last edited:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

With the motor OFF< remove the spark arrestor. Has a helper open the throttle while you look into the carb throat to see if the accelerator pump squirts a stream of fuel into each throat all during the accelerator pump stroke.

If the accelerator pump fails to provide a decent stream then a carb kit AND and accelerator pump kit will be needed.

Most carb kits do not include the accel pump.

Todd87

Recruit

Thanks for your help. Yes the engine runs great above 2000 RPM, 2500-and above is good. I will try what you guys suggested tonight and let you know tomorrow what I find. Thanks again

Todd87

Recruit

Well I took your advice and looked into the carb to see if fuel is spraying and one port looked very weak. I've ordered the rebuild kit and accel. pump. Thanks again for your help.