1958 35hp johnson

blacktrain

Seaman
Greetings; I have a 1958 Johnson 35hp sea horse. I have a carburetor question. does the needle have a wire clip that attaches to the float or does it just sit under the float without being connected to the float. The needle has a groove on top where a wire clip could go but when I took the carburetor apart the needle was under the float without one. I appreciate your help. Thanks...

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1958 35hp johnson

Welcome to the forum.
I think when the engine was made, it did not have the clip. If you would order a carb rebuild kit it would have a clip in it. Maybe someone has had the carb apart and installed a new needle/seat and did not install the clip because there was not there before.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The clip slides into the groove in the needle, they the "finger" goes over the float arm. In other words, the float arm is between the needle and finger. The purpose is to drag the needle off the seat when the float drops down. Note: the finger does NOT go through the hole in the float arm.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If the needle has a rubber tip, you almost must have the clip. If the needle is an older model, sans rubber tip, the spring clip is not necessary.

blacktrain

Seaman

Greetings; I understand how you assemble the needle and clip and attach it to the float, I was just wondering if it required one because when I took it apart there wasn't one. Thank you all for such a quick response, I truly appreciate all of your help. :joyous: