sator output?

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
force 125 1988

I have read numerous reads in regards of resistance my engine should have 500-800 I have 768 on both cold engine but after it runs and engine warm it spikes to 1000 then goes back to 768 is that normal?

but more important when I take reading while engine is idling at 1500rpms the output of the voltage is VERY unstable...

I put my voltage meter to both setting i.e dc and ac and im not getting 180 volts as per outboard ignition states...

I get numbers like 10-50-10-0... my logic tells me how can moduals work properly without a steady stream of energy and that might be the proplem since the beginning.

the engine does start easily but think that's why I don't get my full 5500 rpms I only get around 4300-4500

I have the right prop and have done the link and sink

I just want to put at ease that the stator is or not the issue

I just read I guess I need a dva adaptor before I take the flywheel off again

thanks

mike

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: sator output?

Yes you do need a DVA adapter to get a valid reading of the stator output voltage. Depending on your meter, without the DVA adapter you'll get all kinds of goofy readings. Post #8 on this link has a schematic of the components. Cost less than $10 in parts. You can also search on "DIY DVA adapter".

http://forums.iboats.com/electrical-electronics-audio-trolling-motors/how-build-d-v-direct-voltage-adapter-180482.html

I wouldn't think that the resistance readings shouldn't change all that much between cold and hot, but I may be wrong. I've never tried measuring a "hot" stator.

Jiggz

Captain

Internal resistance of electrical wire, either copper, silver, aluminum, etc is directly affected by temperature. That is, the higher the temp of the wire the higher is its resistance reading. On the otherhand, the wire insulation is inversely affected meaning the higher the temp of the insulation the lower is its dielectric strength or insulation resistance. This is the very reason shorts in winding happens when a motor or armature temp goes high thus losing dielectric strength or insulation characteristic causing shorts and sometimes fire.

As for the stator voltage reading as PNW mentioned it is a peak voltage reading. With a proper DVM this is not too high of a reading that it cannot be read or if you prefer you can use a DVA adapter. Of cousre, it all depends on the type of DVM you use which most or generally reads the RMS value rather than peak value. However, given a peak voltage value it can easily be converted to RMS by multiplying it by 0.707 or dividing it by the square root of 2. The required stator voltage output is 180 Vac + (peak) which translates to around 127 Vac (rms). Or if your DVM reads average rather than RMS then it will be around 115 Vac (ave).

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer

Internal resistance of electrical wire, either copper, silver, aluminum, etc is directly affected by temperature. That is, the higher the temp of the wire the higher is its resistance reading. On the otherhand, the wire insulation is inversely affected meaning the higher the temp of the insulation the lower is its dielectric strength or insulation resistance. This is the very reason shorts in winding happens when a motor or armature temp goes high thus losing dielectric strength or insulation characteristic causing shorts and sometimes fire.

As for the stator voltage reading as PNW mentioned it is a peak voltage reading. With a proper DVM this is not too high of a reading that it cannot be read or if you prefer you can use a DVA adapter. Of cousre, it all depends on the type of DVM you use which most or generally reads the RMS value rather than peak value. However, given a peak voltage value it can easily be converted to RMS by multiplying it by 0.707 or dividing it by the square root of 2. The required stator voltage output is 180 Vac + (peak) which translates to around 127 Vac (rms). Or if your DVM reads average rather than RMS then it will be around 115 Vac (ave).

what wire do itest from?

do I ground one and test each blue yellow wire?

or beteween both yellows? or blue and yellow

thanks

Jiggz

Captain

That will be between blue and yellow set of wires. Remember, there are two sets of these wires so make sure you read between each set and not crossed around.