Stumped and looking for answers!

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Good morning gentleman. In the market for another boat and came across a 1988 Wellcraft American 192, 19' cuddy

The owner says the boat has a 3.0 Mercruiser but also says it's a 170hp. Does that make sense?

He says the motor has a Volvo cooling system in addition to the fresh water pump. Does "That" make sense?

Is an Alpha 1 a good outdrive?

I asked him to send pics of the motor and outdrive.

Thx Dave

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Stumped and looking for answers!

No! That is a 3.7 liter motor which are known for being problematic and that sounds like it might have been cobbled together. Post some photos to confirm it. The alpha 1 is a great outdrive and was always coupled to the "cursed" 3.7L motors.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Good morning gentleman. In the market for another boat and came across a 1988 Wellcraft American 192, 19' cuddy

The owner says the boat has a 3.0 Mercruiser but also says it's a 170hp. Does that make sense?

He says the motor has a Volvo cooling system in addition to the fresh water pump. Does "That" make sense?

Is an Alpha 1 a good outdrive?

I asked him to send pics of the motor and outdrive.

Thx Dave

Dave,

If that engine is in fact 170hp, it's a 3.7L engine. If it's closed cooled, it's possible that someone did "cobble" a bunch of parts together (including a "Volvo" heat exchanger etc)

If it actually is a 3.0L engine (and he's lying/mistaken about HP) it'll be fairly anemic for a 19ft boat.

Nothing wrong with an Alpha 1 (it'll be a earlier model though.....NOT a GEN II I think)

Ask the seller if the block is cast iron or aluminum (aluminum will be the 3.7L engine that you probably have already decided you don't want)

Regards,

Rick

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

Thx for getting back to me! I'm totally staying AWAY from this boat. I asked him to send pictures and never got them.

Thx again fellas