is it a false alarm 89 evinrude 90hp

wbf30934

Cadet
Hey I have a 89 90hp evinrude on my 17.5 ft dynasty bowrider it will push it at a steady 35mph. I'm having an issue with the Alarm horn going off. its the LONGGGGGGGGGGG beep. this usually means over heating or Fuel constriction. The tell tale is kicking out water and is cool water coming out so I don't think its over heating. you can also turn key off and crank it right back up and it goes off. well until it runs a little while longer than goes off again. Other than that engine runs like a champ. I have seen several posts about it being just the disconnected VRO causing it.
Any ideas?????

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: is it a false alarm 89 evinrude 90hp

If you have disabled the VRO, did you unplug the 3 or 4 wire plug from the VRO pump to the engine wiring harness and the wire from the oil tank?

wbf30934

Cadet

Im the second owner and vro was disconnected when I bought it where exactly would I check these things yur talking about

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the VRO pump is still on the engine, (port side rear of air silencer) follow the cable from it to a rubber plug near the big red main harness plug. If oil tank is there, follow it's wire. 1 conductor will be grounded to the engine block, disconnect the other conductor from the wiring harness. If neither are there or still connected, it's time to troubleshoot the overheat alarm circuit.

wbf30934

Cadet

Ok cool I really don't think its overheating as it was only ran not even a 10thgood of a mile before it goes off and the tell tail is squirting cool water no where close to hot. I've seen several post about this is it a common problem with a 90hp evinrude?

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the VRO stuff is unplugged or removed, unplug the two temp sensors in the cylinder heads, tan wires. Since you say it's not running hot, if the alarm still sounds, it's a bad horn, or a short in the wiring, tan wire to ground. If the alarm dosen't sound, plug the temp sensors in one at a time to see which is bad. Hard to say if it's a common problem as nobody writes in to say they aren't having trouble with the alarm.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

A constant solid tone is an overheat. The telltale lets you know the powerhead is getting freshwater from the impeller. It does not tell you that both thermostats have opened, permitting spent cooling water to go back down the lower unit. If either thermostat sticks shut, you will quickly get an overheat warning that you really need to pay attention to.

wbf30934

Cadet

the reason i say i think its not overheating is that it is supposed to not allow you over 2500 rpm's after the alarm goes off. but it doesnt slow down a bit until i let out of it. but im going to check the thermostats which ive heard is a bear to get to.

:_(

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The reason your engine does not go into SLOW is because it was only offered in the V6 engines that had the 35 amp alternators. Not offered in any the V4 engines that model year. The thermostats are fairly easy to get to on your engine, it's a flatback model.