'72 Evinrude 65hp Installing Remote Throttle Cable

I bought a '72 Evinrude 65hp w/ electric shift recently and installed it on my boat. I need help on connecting the remote control throttle cable.

Where should the throttle lever on the motor be when the remote control lever is in the "start" position? When remote control lever in "Low"? In "high"? Also, when a repair manual refers to "idle" speed, should the engine be running at that speed with the remote control lever in the "start" position or the "low" position?

I'm attaching photos below of the motor with throttle in various positions (w/ remote control lever disconnected).
These first 3 photos are with the throttle lever as far back as it can go (note: when I got the motor, the idle speed screw was turned all the way out such that it didn't reach the lever at any point in the lever's range of motion; in photo I adjusted screw so that it touches lever when lever is all the way back):IMG_1474.jpgIMG_1476.jpgIMG_1477.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: '72 Evinrude 65hp Installing Remote Throttle Cable

Set the engine to the idle position and the remote control lever all the way back to idle. You will have to adjust the big knurled nut on the cable to set it properly.

and these when the upper part of the throttle lever is advanced as far as it can go...

IMG_1483.jpgIMG_1484.jpgIMG_1485.jpg

ok, both the throttle lever on motor, and the remote control box lever should be as far back as they can go.. so the throttle lever should be where it is in the first set of pics I posted?

Should the button on the neutral safety switch be pushed in at all when the remote control box lever is in "start"?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I think I understand what you are asking. The neutral safety switch has to be depressed in order to start the engine.

Ok, that's what I thought, and that's where I got confused. Because the switch is depressed when the throttle lever on the motor is all the way back, however the "start" position for the lever on the control box is mid-way between the "low" and "high" positions. So if I connect the remote cable like you said (which is how I had tried it initially), then when I advance the remote lever to "start" I think the throttle lever on the motor is advanced to the point where the switch is no longer depressed or only partially depressed.