Intercostal water way

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was chatting with my wife and was curious. Is the intercostal waterway still active? Can you boat from Maine to Florida ?

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Intercostal water way

Did you know the Intracoastal Waterway was envisioned & proposed before Congress in the 1880's? As a way to keep military & commercial shipping safe along the coast(s). It's origional intent had little to do with us 'recreational' boaters. Not entirely sure there was such a thing as a "Recreational Boater" back then.

Yes. To the best of my knowledge the intracoastal is still 'active'.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

I thought it only went to VA, but a google search says it goes from NJ to TX. Yes, it is still very active in my part of the world (NC)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

cant say for sure north of Florida, however very much active down here.

V153, I see your just south of me

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unrelated but V153 you live in my favorite town in FL. (Im going to Engelwood for 20 days in DEC for Christmas and New Years and I bet I spend a lot of time there.). If I ever move to Florida that's where my wife and I want a house (always pictured a canal lot with my console fishing boat :) )

talkinghead4

Cadet

The Texas portin began in 1854. And yes, it is very active with bardge traffic. This is a historical marker in Freeport
, Texas.

SurfsideTXGulfIntercoastalWaterway707KRudine.jpg

Cheers, mark

kfa4303

Banned

Still up here in N.FL :) In fact, there is a route lots of sailors use called "The Great Loop" which encompasses ICW stretching from New England down the East Coast across the Gulf and on up to the Great Lakes.

Great_Loop_Route_Map.jpgGreat_Loop_Route_Map.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the intracoastal on the eastern shore (Virginia) is largely abandoned and no longer maintained, so go down the bay instead

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Unrelated but V153 you live in my favorite town in FL. (Im going to Engelwood for 20 days in DEC for Christmas and New Years and I bet I spend a lot of time there.). If I ever move to Florida that's where my wife and I want a house (always pictured a canal lot with my console fishing boat :) )
My shop: "Creative Canvas" is in Englewood, on San Casa Dr. Look me up when you're in town. Take you for a boat ride you won't soon forget ...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The Texas portin began in 1854. And yes, it is very active with bardge traffic. This is a historical marker in Freeport
, Texas.

View attachment 211352

Cheers, mark

My last two summers in high school I worked as a deck hand on a tug pushing those barges you are talking about from S. TX. up to Vicksburg, MS.

Worst loads were sulphur from Galveston, TX. Sulphur dust covered everything and you cried for days on end.

Mark

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the intracoastal on the eastern shore (Virginia) is largely abandoned and no longer maintained, so go down the bay instead

Sadly, Ga. is suffering the same fate. There are several places (North of Brunswick) where it is recommended that deep draft boats go through at high tide. Definitely hurts local businesses and marinas.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

By the way I look out my office window at mile post 0, the center of the ICW. Every spring and every fall we have a great parade of yachts moving to or from the North, with lots of interesting boats stopping over.

Ned L

Commander

There never was an 'inside route' from Sandy Hook to manasquan N.J. - Always had to do that 23 miles on the outside.