OMC Outdrive Problem after sitting for 7 months

996pp

Recruit
Hi everyone. New to the forum and would like to introduce myself. I'm in California, 31yrs old, little bit of handy with tools but definitely not an export. Love the outdoors, starting with camping, boating, dirt bikes, fishing, you name it, anything that has to do with nature.

Now my problem.
I've got a 1993 Four wins horizon 190LE with am omc 5.0 inboard and omc king cobra outdrive. About 7 months ago I changed the oil on the outdrive took it out and it ran with no problems. Brought it home parked it with no problem and wasn't able to take it out due to a new addition to the family :)...... this weekend I wanted to take it out and before heading out I wanted to check to see if everything was working fine. It started right up but when I tried to put it in forward there was a constant clicking from the outdrive and wouldn't go into gear until I had my brother lightly kick the upper side of the outdrive and it poped into gear, problem consisted and will not go into gear unless kicked. No problem with the reverse.
Any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated I really don't want to take it to a shop as they will charge and arm and leg specially with the newborn in the family diapers are already draining my wallet LOL :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Outdrive Problem after sitting for 7 months

Sounds like you need a new lower shift cable. You store your drive up or down?

996pp

Recruit

I always store it with drive down. I hope that's the issue. I believe the cable should be fairly easy to switch out and pretty cheap. Now when you say lower shift cable which one is that on the shifter end?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Goes from the engine to the drive.

996pp

Recruit

Thanks for your help Bruce