How do I begin to go about fixing this?!

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Had my boat out in Ocean City, MD and I was docking to pick someone up at an unfamiliar dock. A wake hit me and knocked the side of my boat into a rock or concrete drain or something hard, I definitely felt it.

Among other things I always have to fix on my boat, now I've got this to deal with. After I pulled the boat out of the water I went looking for damage from this incident and I certainly found it.

Here's the damage, I am looking for tips on the process of repair. I've done fiberglass repair on non-marine items but never on something as important as the outside of a hull. I have glass, resins, matting, epoxies, tools, etc, trying to get an idea from someone with experience where to start because I have no idea.

IMAG0360.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: How do I begin to go about fixing this?!

start by getting this moved to the drydock section

THEN I'd say first step will be sanding till the damaged stuff is gone..... see how deep you go and decide from there..... I'd say it will be a pretty minor easy fix....

I would HIGHLY suggest working with epoxy and not vinylester or polyester resin..... it's more expensive but easier to get a good bond and IMHO just better all around

there RE others here who have way more experience than I do with glass work and 1 or 2 who may have more experience than boat builders have...... you're in good hands n it's gonna be FINE

500dollar744ti

Would this be considered structural or cosmetic? I was leaning towards structural but I'm new to this.

500dollar744ti

What about Marine Tex, is that something that would work for this?

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

You'll need to see how deep the cracking goes. It's like a cavity in a tooth. The damaged area needs to be removed for it to be filled properly. The whiteness in the center is where the resins and glass took enough force to cause them to crack. This makes the area porous enough to allow water to slowly seep in. I am not an expert, but there are others who can give you better guidance to how well it can be fixed from the outside.

Do you have access to that area from the inside?

500dollar744ti

I'll check if I have inside access to it, I'm not sure at the moment.

lakegeorge

Have you tried going on the web and typing in videos on fiberglass repair on boats?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'd call it mostly cosmetic but slightly structural if that makes sense.... as mentioned above you won't know anything till you grind away the damage... you will likely need to use just a little glass cloth with epoxy and last you can repair the gelcoat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sorry for your Dock Rash!!! If the area is not soft and can not be pushed in easily and you can't hear the glass fibers cracking etc.. then I'd say you can do this from the outside only. Since it's below the water line and kinda on the chine it's a bit of a challenge but you'll be up to it. If you are not wanting to try and match the gelcoat on the hull and make the repair "Disappear" then you could use Marine Tex but IMHO you'd be much better off using Poly resin and some CSM and biax to do this one. You can then use a PreVal sprayer from Home Depot ($5.00 bucks) and spray 3-4 coats of Gelcoat on and she'll look fine. If it's not mushy then it's pretty basic. If it is mushy then you will need to do an inside and ouside repair or we could do a Ouside "Backer" repair if needed. Post back if it's solid or not and we can go from there. With your stated skil set you will be able to handle this repair with no problem.;)

500dollar744ti

Here's what I found, it is mushy, and it goes deep. I started sanding and I got a hole now. Marine Tex will definitely not work.

I have sanded this much on the outside and I am scared to do any more without advice from you guys.
IMAG0361.jpg

I found out I don't have inside access but I was able to remove one of the lounge chairs from the cuddy cabin and make access through the floor under the chair. I figure it would be a stronger repair to have inside access and then fix the hole under the seat later.
IMAG0362.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Now we're talking. Grind the glass on the inside 3-4 inches all around the hole. Use some clear packing tape and tape over the hold on the outside. Make a patch from 1.5 oz CSM that's 1 1/2" larger than the hole and use poly resin to apply. Make another one thats 1 1/2" larger than the first and apply it. Make one from 1708 biax that's 3" larger than the last one and apply it. Inside is done. Ouside repair is pretty much the same as the inside.

This should give you a good idea of what to do...

Fiberglass Boat Repair~ There's A Hole In My Boat Part 1 - YouTube

there are 2 parts and well worth your time to watch.

500dollar744ti

How about the sanding on the outside, will I need to do more?

I am literally going at this blindly so can you explain what CSM is and where I can get it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

CSM Chopped strand mat. It's a fiberglass material made up of loosely woven glass fibers used in conjunction with polyester resin. Watch the videos. It will all become clear.

Where are you located?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

W O G, why poly instead of epoxy?

Main reason is, if he wants to Gelcoat the repair (which I think he should) gelcoat does not stick to epoxy worth a darn. You can do some special preppin and such, but still it just is not compatible since gelcoat is poly based.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

AH HAH!

makes perfect sense now.... :facepalm:

500dollar744ti

Main reason is, if he wants to Gelcoat the repair (which I think he should) gelcoat does not stick to epoxy worth a darn. You can do some special preppin and such, but still it just is not compatible since gelcoat is poly based.

I just spent about an hour watching all the youtube videos posted by the guy you linked to. I placed an order for some CSM, 1708 bi-axial, polyester laminating resin, one of those little tools to roll over the laminate and some white gelcoat with wax for sealing the lay-up and then after sanding again I'll use it for the actual gelcoat.

Does this sound about right?

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're on the right track.

Lucky for you that gaining access to the inside surface was so easy. I'd have expected flotation foam to be in there.

500dollar744ti

How much more should I sand on the outer side of the hole, I don't want to take off too much but I do want a strong repair. It's a little scary to watch the hole get bigger and bigger if it doesn't have to be.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Do the inside repair first. Then do the outside. The sanded area should be about 4-6" larger than the hole. Don't be afraid. It may look big, but it will disappear very soon.