How to tie on a anchor weight

bambam634

Cadet
Hello i was looking for some input on how you tie your rope to your anchor.. i used the anchor clasp that came on the rope but when i went to pull the anchor in the boat ( some how the anchor lifted up and openend the clasp and off came the anchor back in the water it went.. I need to find a good knot to tie the anchor
thanks

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to tie on a anchor weight

If it has to be a knot, I'd use a bowline.

Most people splice a loop around a metal or nylon thimble on the end of the rope. Then connect the thimble to the chain on the anchor using a screw shackle. If you are anchoring in rough water or overnight make sure you use a ziptie or safety wire on the shackle so it doesn't come unscrewed accidently. It is the tried and true method.

shrew

Lieutenant

You don't tie the line ot the anchor. Your anchor line should have a loop with a thimble on the end. You should connect the thimble to a length of chain using a shackle, then the chain to the anchor using a shackle. The shackle should be safety wired with ss safety wire to prevent it from opening. That is the proper way to rig an anchor.

bambam634

Cadet

Its used in calm water for fishing just holding the boat still while cat fishing.. i dont have a chain on the weight is this something i need to invest in.. even thought its not for overnight use

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a iPhone there is an app that shows a ton of knots (What knot) I tied my previous one (grew legs and walked off while I was TN with my family) with a knot called an Anchor bend and then secured it with a few square knots and then fused the rope together with the running end to make it more secure. Hope these pictures help you out.

anchor-bend.jpg anchor_bend_2.jpg

Chris

Last edited:

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its used in calm water for fishing just holding the boat still while cat fishing.. i dont have a chain on the weight is this something i need to invest in.. even thought its not for overnight use

Yes, put 6-8 feet of anchor chain on before the rope as the rope will want to float where the chain will help the anchor lay down.

Even on the little 8' dingy we use it made a world of difference.

Mark

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you don't need chain on a mushroom anchor like he has, and certainly not 6-8'.

Nor do you need a thimble in the rope.

Another example of how boating advice is driven by particular circumstances.

But you need a good knot and a bowline is a good one for that. You can even add two half hitches in the tag end to the line.

I lost a mushroom on a clip this summer; I was surprised it popped loose like it did.

oldandintheway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, put 6-8 feet of anchor chain on before the rope as the rope will want to float where the chain will help the anchor lay down.

Even on the little 8' dingy we use it made a world of difference.

Mark

+ use anchor chain.

UncleWillie

Captain

...I lost a mushroom on a clip this summer; I was surprised it popped loose like it did...

It happens much easier than you would imagine.
Don't us a clip-on connection on anything you do not want to loose.

How it happens.

CarabinerCam Out.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Clips have no place on an anchor, unless you a want quick release that drops the anchor back to the bottom when you least expect it.

Like Home Cookin said, Chain works great, but isn't needed or desired in this situtuation.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It happens much easier than you would imagine.
Don't us a clip-on connection on anything you do not want to loose.

How it happens.

View attachment 211234

thanks for the demo; I had been wondering how I lost mine. And I used a good 4" brass snap clip, not just a caribiner; I liked the convenience of quick disconnect, and just used it for calm water holding. Live and learn.

QC

Supreme Mariner

The chain comments are referring to the difference between a fluke style and mushroom style anchor. Chain with Fluke style? Yes. Chain with Mushroom style? Not as beneficial.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

First of all, don't buy rope for an anchor. Buy an anchor line with a pre-spliced end. Then, wind the bitter end through the splice and it'll never come apart.

Optionall, buy a length of twisted nylon, along with a book that teaches you how to splice and make your own splice.

A mushroom anchor will be fine without a chain, as long as you are not in a current and its not too windy.

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 211187
Chris will this knot work for this type

It will just tie it as the picture shows on the hole at the top. I have even used this know to tow cars short distances before so I know its strong if a good quality rope is used. I use it with an anchor like this one and have had no problems.

Chris

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

View attachment 211187
Chris will this knot work for this type
I use an anchor like that on my boat. Here in TN the anchor works well, and doesn't get hung up too much (occasionally) on the bottom structure (less formally: rocks). Mine is spliced through the hole (manufacture with a metal guide), but I'd use a bowline if it wasn't.