i turn dock lights on, radio fades?

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did some rewiring, added dock lights, upgraded wiring.

I installed led dock lights (bright as hell and cheap to boot). 17w each, two of them. If i have my am/fm radio on, and turn on the dock lights, the radio fades to almost silent, until i turn them off. They are power and grounded independantly, however on the same fuse box. I have 12ga wire to the fuse box, and thats all thats running at the same time.

I don't care that much about it, but wondering if its a radio wave thing, or an electrical or fuse thing, and if I should worry about it or not. The wiring that was on the boat was a lot a thinner and lasted for 15 years so I'm not sure what it is.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: i turn dock lights on, radio fades?

You probably have a loose or corroded connection. Start at the battery and work forward. Your feed to the fuse block is a little undersized; the usual is 10 or 8 gauge.

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know I skimped on the fuse box wire a little. Literally all I have is the radio a depth finder and dock lights and nav lights. Nav and dock lights are led

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Measure the voltage at the radio when the issue occurs. If it is low you need to determine why. Connections, connections, connections -- unless you have a weak battery.

Splat

Lieutenant

It's one of three things.

Voltage drop

A ground loop

Or if they are lower quality dock lights with a driver circuit it's possible the circuit is causing rf problems and burying the front end of the radio

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome leds And bright as hell. The cost was cheap so usually that means low quality but not always, so could be that. If I ran them straight to the battery bypassing the fuse box, would the rf interference still be present if that was the issue? I don't have a volt reader handy so this method would be easiest.

tpenfield

Staff member

What else changes when the docking lights go on. . . ? Gauge readings, Instrument panel lighting, etc.? If so, I would suspect a weak ground connection. Nothing to do with RF really.

Having a multimeter is sure handy especially when you are doing electrical work. So, maybe you should get one . . . they are not too expensive. That way you can see if the voltage on the ground side of the speakers is rising when the docking lights go on, etc. as would be indicative of a bad ground connection back to the battery.

At 17 watts (each) the docking lights would be drawing about 3 amps when on.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Awesome leds And bright as hell. The cost was cheap so usually that means low quality but not always, so could be that. If I ran them straight to the battery bypassing the fuse box, would the rf interference still be present if that was the issue? I don't have a volt reader handy so this method would be easiest.
You have a link to these lights? I highly doubt they have any kind of circuit in them causing RF interference but anything is possible.

Splat

Lieutenant

Indeed it would be rare, but I had a pair of cheap Chinese LEDs once that were driven with a pwm circuit, they would make my ham gear in my truck go wild. Was just tossing it out there.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Indeed it would be rare, but I had a pair of cheap Chinese LEDs once that were driven with a pwm circuit, they would make my ham gear in my truck go wild. Was just tossing it out there.
If they are dimmable they may have one. Not sure why you would have dimmable dock lights. Kinda why I wanted to see a link.