My 89 Gamefisher 9.9 update.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
After reading numerous post concerning the same issues I have with my Force, heres an update.
stuck a needle in the vent on carb to make sure it was clear. took carb apart to make sure the needle was seating, which it is. brand new carb from **********. everything was good internally in carb and was functioning as it should. re-installed it and pumped primer and now gas fills the carb throat and squirts out the vent hole. Fire it up and it runs for 1 to 2 minutes and dies. Same problem as before. Should I send this carb back and get a new one. I have some money tied up in this motor and would really like it to run. Thought about sending it to the shop and let them fix it, But Im pretty good at fixing these things and this motor should run like a champ and it wont:mad:

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice
Re: My 89 Gamefisher 9.9 update.

Sounds like the float adjustment.
Said you checked the float and needle to make sure needle was seated.
Could something be binding the float?
Could float have a hole?

Take carb off and turn upside down and blow through the fuel inlet. Does air go through, if so needle not seating. If no air then float not adjusted, binding, or not floating in upright position. Take carb apart and shake float to see if it has a hole.

Only thing I can think of.

If you send it back will you have to pay for shipping? Will they take it back? Can you wait on another carb?
Already took it apart once. could just try to adjust the float one more time. If that doesn't work then sent it back.

Kilgore

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The needle does seat ( no air passing by ) No hole in float but it did look like it wasnt quite level when turned upside down. I will check the float drop and re-adjust and install and try this again. Man it would be nice to have this motor running so I can go to the big river. Will post new results. Thanx abunch....

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice

Know what you mean about getting a motor running. I have a '79 7.5 sears aka eska, a '69 7.5 sears aka mcculloch, and a few others and they all need work.

Any way, it might be better to have the float shut off the fuel coming in to you carb a little early, then late.
Meaning that the float not have to come up level to make the needle seat.
In other words if the manual said to use a xx/xx drill bit use a slightly larger drill bit.

OR

I would take the carb, float, needle, the recommended drill bit, AND A FEELER GAUGE used to set points.
I would do what the manual says (my manual for my carbs anyway).
turn carb upside down, put recommended drill bit between body of carb and float so that the float shuts the needle just as it touched the drill bit.

THEN ADJUST SO A .020 GAP or so is between the float and recommended drill bit.

That way it should shut down the fuel and keep from coming out the front of carb or vent hole.
Just be careful that you don't bend the adjustment too much and break it off then you would need a new float.

Explaining this I think I have a fix for one of my issues. I wish us both good luck.

Kilgore.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanx for the assessment and possible fix. I went on ebay and bought a working carb for a 89 gamefisher that should just need cleaned. Im tired of adjusting carbs:grumpy: The brand new one I just bought should of installed and worked right out the box. I currently have 3 carbs for gamefishers the newest being a Toliston. I love the air cooled gamefisher by McCulloch and Eska. I had a couple of them. I have a 7.5 Clinton ( Monkey Wards ) that runs great. Just bought a 1949 QD 10 Johnson Seahorse in excellent condition to restore. Got it at a steal off ebay. Cant wait for it to get here. Thanx again I will post my results or failures:facepalm:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great news. It was the FREAKIN fuel pump assy. Apparently the reeds werent working because theres a new diaphragm in it and it wasnt pumping fuel. So I grabbed another off my other 9.9 gamefisher and re-assembled with new diaphragm and guess what. RUNS LIKE A SCALDED DOG. Im am so tickled. well all the hard work and great help from everyone on this site paid off. Process of elimination. I guess im gonna quit doggin the force motors cuz apparently I was the idiot. LOL Thanks again to you all. Now on to the 1949 QD 10 Johnson. Gonna get it restored. Told the wife, Honey we can go to the big river now.....