1984 Aqua Patio budget rebuild

autotec

Seaman
This project started a few months ago, but I figured I would start a new thread showing the progress.

I picked the pontoon up for nothing. But as I found out, there was a reason for that. Reading all of the other threads, I'm so glad I didn't have to go through what some of you have with the glass work and all. But as I stated in the title of the thread, this is a budget build. There isn't going to be any expensive seats, rails or consoles. I'm reusing everything I can and building everything else myself. I guess enjoy the pictures.

Pontoon 1.jpg

Well, here is the one picture I can post. I need to resize the others. To be continued...

autotec

Seaman
Re: 1984 Aqua Patio budget rebuild

Alright guys, this is what I started with. It was a well worn, but original 20ft Aqua Patio that sat in th POs yard unused for 3 yrs. The first thing I did was start it to make sure the engine ran, which it did. At this point I figured a simple carpet swap and basic clean-up was all it needed. I gave myself 3 weeks and $500.00 to get it all done. That was 2 1/2 months ago, but I'm still under the $500.00. I'll try to explain along the way.

pontoon 2.jpgPontoon 6.jpgPontoon 4.jpg

As you can see, it was in pretty rough shape. I found no less than 7 wasp nests and 4 mouse nests in it. Add the ants and a racoon and we almost had a zoo. But to this day, this was the only thing I have ever brought home that the wife approved of. At this point, I spent $50.00 out of the budget for a trailer rental.

autotec

Seaman

As I started getting inspecting and tearing it apart, I learned very quickly that this was going to be a project. Not as bad as 90% of you, but still more than I thought. The floor was rotten, seats were rotten, and the console was rotten. So everything needed to go. I was amazed that they didn't use a single stainless bolt in this thing, but in the end, I was happy. All I really had to do was touch the bolt with my impact and it broke. It really sped things up.

Pontoon 3.jpg

At this point, all of the railings and floor are cut out. I just had the little strips to remove.

autotec

Seaman

After all of the floor was removed, I discovered that all of the fasteners that held the supports to the pontoons were a very low grade standard bolt. They were all loose without any washers. One of my friends had a bunch of stainless bolts leftover from a street rod build, so he donated them to the cause. (it didn't hurt I rewired the entire car with a 23 circuit panel) EVERY bolt that held the supports to the toons was replaced with stainless bolts, washers and nylon lock nuts. To stay under the budget, I used PT 3/4 plywood and stainless carriage bolts to hold the deck down. I purchased carpet from Home Depot, along with the glue, and we had a new deck. But before that, I cleaned the toons. They aren't perfect, but alot better than they were.

Carpet.jpg

At this point, I had $240.00 into the project. the wood and carpet was expensive. (bolts and NAPA wheel cleaner to clean the toons were free)

autotec

Seaman

On to the railings. When I first removed them, I figured I could slide the thin pieces out of the railings. After about 3 hrs of trying, I gave up. We ended (wife and I) taping all of the parts we wanted bare aluminum off and spraying the flat pieces the color my daughter picked out. We thought it fit a 80's boat pretty well. $15.00 in tape and $20.00 in paint.

Railings.jpgRailings 2.jpgRailings 4.jpg

The boat was starting to take shape now, even though the rails were just sitting on the deck. They were attached with stainless cariage bolts and stainless nylon lock nuts. ($20.00 in hardware)

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

No pressure treated plywood on aluminum boats, this includes pontoon boats. The copper in the pressure treating solution will eat/corrode your aluminum.

Last edited:

autotec

Seaman

No pressure treated plywood on aluminum boats, this includes pontoon boats. The copper in the pressure treating solution will eat/corrode your aluminum.

That's what was on there when I first pulled it off. (even my friends 09 has PT wood) It was separated by a thin layer of caulk, but the braces are galvanized anyway. The only thing aluminum on the entire boat are the toons. (and the rub rails) I think it will be ok. Thanks for the warning though. If the boat was newer and I wasn't on a extreme budget, I would have went with the marine grade wood, or better. You will see the better wood on the seat bases coming soon.

Thanks again, Justin

autotec

Seaman

Console.jpgFinished Console.jpg

Here is the console I built. This is the first one I have ever built, and I already want to build it over. I built it bigger than the original, but I should have went bigger. The pontoon never had gauges, but there will be a few when time permits. (money too) I used the left over carpet to cover it. All of the front panels are removable to access all of the wiring and steering controls.

autotec

Seaman

On to the seats. I saved all of the old seats to use as templates for the new ones. Most of the seats were used with scraps from the pattern shop next door. If I could afford to use this wood, I would use it for everything ($350.00 per sheet) It is lazer straight and held together with epoxy. Just awesome stuff. Anyway, the layout will be the same to keep it simple. Here is the layout.

Seats 5.jpg

And here they are installed on the boat.

seat bases.jpg

autotec

Seaman

I figured the boat needed tunes while we are out on the lake. The only place I could think of is in the armrests to keep feet from kicking the speakers. All I did was copy the original armrest while adding a few braces to make sure they survived for a few years. The holes have yet to be cut, but I imagine 2 sets of 6x9s, one in each armrest. Below are the finished armrests.

Armrests 3.jpgArmrests 1.jpg

I built them out of scraps and will cover them when we decide on the color. (I saved the aluminum from the original armrests) Right now we are at $406.00 invested without any time added. But who adds time when you are having fun?

Justin

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That's what was on there when I first pulled it off. (even my friends 09 has PT wood) It was separated by a thin layer of caulk, but the braces are galvanized anyway. The only thing aluminum on the entire boat are the toons. (and the rub rails) I think it will be ok. Thanks for the warning though. If the boat was newer and I wasn't on a extreme budget, I would have went with the marine grade wood, or better. You will see the better wood on the seat bases coming soon.

Thanks again, Justin

There is pressure treated plywood for boats, but it isn't budget plywood:
3/4" Marine Treated Decking

... and if the deck you took off the boat was rotted, it wasn't pressure treated.

Your work looks great, just keep and eye on your toons at any deck drip points.

autotec

Seaman

There is pressure treated plywood for boats, but it isn't budget plywood:
3/4" Marine Treated Decking

... and if the deck you took off the boat was rotted, it wasn't pressure treated.

Your work looks great, just keep and eye on your toons at any deck drip points.

It really wasn't rotten, just soft. I didn't see any black mold, or what ever it is. It was green so I assumed it was treated. It was just soft where the pieces joined. I know the original owner and he bought it new, he just didn't cover it the last 5 years or so. ( he knew it needed some work) I'll keep a eye on the drip points, thanks for the heads up.

carb 3.jpgcarb 2.jpg

I ordered the parts I need for the carb. Lets hope it's all I need to make it run and cool good. The budget is thining.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

To make that motor cool good you need to put a new impeller (water pump) in it, they aren't expensive and if the boat has been sitting for 5 yrs. it's due for a new one.

autotec

Seaman

To make that motor cool good you need to put a new impeller (water pump) in it, they aren't expensive and if the boat has been sitting for 5 yrs. it's due for a new one.

I was thinking the same thing. It has been ordered. I am one to fix the problems before they are "problems" I have never owned a boat before, so I'm hoping it's as easy to drop the lower unit as they show. This is all a learing experience to me, but it's great. I figure a day without learing something is a day lost.

Justin

autotec

Seaman

The battery fairy just dropped a present off. 2 new batteries and a new gas tank. We are getting closer to making it float. Batteries.jpg

autotec

Seaman

Carb is rebuilt and ready to go back on. I need to clean some of the wiring up on the engine, but it should run this weekend. The old carb parts are in the bag. The second picture is the wiring on the terminal block, the rest isn't any better.

Carb 4.jpgMotor wiring.jpg

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Best part of the build is that good ol Jack Daniels sitting on the table!!! Good work this far keep it coming!!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Now that's boating on a budget! Great work and I think this is the 1st toon I've seen rebuilt in this forum. Looks like you'll be having a lot of fun very soon!

Should put your location in so we know about where you hail from.