SS prop or not

KYsean

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, I'm trying to decide if I should get a SS prop or not. I have a Rinker 216 with 5.0. I have a 21 P aluminum now and get 4800 rpm at WOT and 52 mph on dash not gps. What would the benefits be of getting a SS prop? We do water sports on the river and lakes and do like to just cruise sometimes. River is mud/sand bottom mostly. Thanks, Sean

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: SS prop or not

Assuming a 1.50 gear ratio your slip is about 18% A little high. 10 to 12% is more typical.
A inaccurate tach or speedometer could cause a false high slip number.
The wrong gear ratio also could do that.Your ratio may be on the outdrive.
A ss prop in the same pitch "should" improve your numbers but could be a few tenths to a few mph improvement.
A ss prop will generally hold up better in the event you strike a soft bottom,but will cost more to repair if that becomes necessary.
There are a number of al props that perform close to a ss prop. The Solas Amita or Rubex usually do well and the Turning Point Hustler does well. At about 1/3 the cost of a ss.

KYsean

Seaman Apprentice
Re: SS prop or not

Assuming a 1.50 gear ratio your slip is about 18% A little high. 10 to 12% is more typical.
A inaccurate tach or speedometer could cause a false high slip number.
The wrong gear ratio also could do that.Your ratio may be on the outdrive.
A ss prop in the same pitch "should" improve your numbers but could be a few tenths to a few mph improvement.
A ss prop will generally hold up better in the event you strike a soft bottom,but will cost more to repair if that becomes necessary.
There are a number of al props that perform close to a ss prop. The Solas Amita or Rubex usually do well and the Turning Point Hustler does well. At about 1/3 the cost of a ss.

Does a SS prop help improve hole shot? Mine seems like it could use just a little improvement but I would still be happy if things stayed the same. Thanks, Sean