Need advice for replacing deck.

Galaxie1989

Cadet
I have a 17 ft galaxie i/o. The decking is rotted around all the exposed edges. Im about to begin cutting out the old deck. If someone can give me some tips or put the links to similar threads I'd appreciate it. I was reading where you don necessarily have to use fiberglass, you can just use resin to coat new plywood? Any thoughts on that? I dont plan on re doing carpet. Ive heard of people using bedliner and garage floor paints for this. also i believe my flotation foam is saturated, is replacement my only option for that? Id appreciate any advice dos/and donts. Thanks

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Need advice for replacing deck.

I have a 17 ft galaxie i/o. The decking is rotted around all the exposed edges. Im about to begin cutting out the old deck. If someone can give me some tips or put the links to similar threads I'd appreciate it. I was reading where you don necessarily have to use fiberglass, you can just use resin to coat new plywood? Any thoughts on that? I dont plan on re doing carpet. Ive heard of people using bedliner and garage floor paints for this. also i believe my flotation foam is saturated, is replacement my only option for that? Id appreciate any advice dos/and donts. Thanks

Hi and welcome Galaxie1989...
Resin by itself on plywood will do very little, it needs the fiberglass cloth/mat for strength...
Many ways to cover the deck...bedliner and garage floor paints are not in the top two...
Foam, once saturated needs to be removed and replaced...
First bit of really good advice is to read through this...
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...r/how-tos-other-great-information-288451.html
Lots of really good info about everything you are likely to encounter in your upcoming restoration...
Posting pictures is a huge plus, it lets us see what you see and give the best possible advice.
When cutting the deck set your circular saw to just at the thickness or a little less of the deck to avoid cutting through the hull...
Another source of great information is to read the links in the signatures of the members who post here, most are in the process or have completed some pretty amazing builds...
Best of luck and have fun!
GT1M

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need advice for replacing deck.

Welcome Galaxie1989...

I have to cringe every time that I read a thread that starts out mentioning a soft deck. And then cringe again with the mention of water logged flotation. Most likely you'll also find water in the stringers and bulkheads and probably the transom too. It can be fixed and this is the place to find out how. I was in the same boat 8 weeks ago and am now in week 7 of my restoration.

Do some research and post pics of your boat when you figure out a plan of action.