Dry dock running a '63 outboard?

2bits

Cadet
I've got a 1963 Sea King, Montgomery Ward, Gale 40HP that I bought recently and I have been trying to find a way to run the engine out of water. The "Muffs" do not work due to the location of the inlet being at the back and not on the sides, and filling my trash can will not work due to the clamp to the transom being below the water line.

I know this is probably a basic question but how can I dry dock run my outboard in this scenario?

Last edited:

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Dry dock running a '63 outboard?

You need to have the water pickup submerged. It's not just overheating I'm worried about but the water lubricates the water pump impellers. Without it you've got rubber running on steel generating a lot of friction. Think of running your wiper blades on super-high speed on a dry windshield - how long do you think they'd last.

Can you tilt the motor out a few degrees and get a cut-down trash can in there?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use a plastic barrel with rope handles from Wally World or K-Mart. I think its about 18-20" deep, roughly 20 gallons and about 10 bucks. I use it with the motor on the boat and raise the bow with the jack until the anti-ventilation late is well submerged. If I could think of the name they use for it, I'd post a link.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You have to have the water level above the water pump before starting the motor. The pump is in the first bulge above the flat anti-cavitation plate. Around here the ranchers call that tub that GA mentioned a "muck bucket". I use one when running small motors on a saw horse.

2bits

Cadet

Thanks guys! I do not know anything at all about boat motors (yet), but I definitely knew the inlet needed to be submerged before ever turning that key. That's a great idea about raising the bow to create a gap between the transom! I'll give that a try and measure the height needed and head to wally world looking for a can that will work.

Thanks!