early 80's 75 hp johnson steering

whalernut207

Recruit
My early 80's 75hp Johnson steering is stiff. I have unhooked the steering cable and cable is free. however the motor is not. I have soaked the steering tube the best I can with penetrating oil for days. I have taken out the grease zerts to try and give the penetrating oil another point of entry. I have now replaced the zert and seem to get the bottom one to take grease well . the top is another story it still wont take grease. it has gotten significantly better but is still stiff. is there any kind of adjustment screw against the steering tube to limit the friction.

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: early 80's 75 hp johnson steering

My '86 does not have any friction adjustment. It's not supposed to have any friction - direction is controlled by the cables only.

Give the penetrant time to work. I had a safe door that partially seized during storage. Took about a week of lubing it 3 times a day and it's butter now.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

With those zerks out find a way to squirt some acetone into that tube to soften up that dried grease. May take a day to get it loosen up. Good luck

whalernut207

Recruit

Thanks for the help! the acetone seemed to do the trick. I am guessing I am at about 80 percent free. will keep working on it!

Timswfl

Recruit

I am having the same issue with 1998 evinrude 60 hp. Any suggestions for getting acetone into the zerk holes?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

I used a 3in1 oil can with a spout to squirt the acetone but anything with a spout on it should work.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Edit.......

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Mix the acetone 50:50 with ATF and you may have better luck.

Timswfl

Recruit

Thanks, Will and Boobie. I decided to try spray carb cleaner (acetone) and managed to get some into the zerk holes but gravity was against me (motor mounted in boat and boat and me in the water). I put the grease fittings back in and pumped 2 tubes of grease in. It pushed out the old grease at the top of the midsection. The steering is now functional, but still tight. Thank goodness the water is warm here even in December!

I couldn't resist so I took the boat on a short cruise in the Cape Coral canals. I wouldn't want to leave the canals for open water without getting the steering looser. If I remove the motor, how difficult will it be to dismantle and truly clean up the steering assembly? Is that a job for a pro?

Thanks,
Tim

boobie

Supreme Mariner

To do it right the power head and the gear case will have to come off to get at the pivot tube. Not a small job. If it was my motor I'd keep on using the acetone mix and keep on working it.

Timswfl

Recruit

Thanks, boobie. I agree that that is too big of a job for me personally. I will keep trying the acetone until it either works or I give up and call in a pro. It is such a strong motor for its age that I hate to give up on her if there is a chance I can get a few more seasons out of her.

Just getting the new grease in helped a great deal, but it is still not as loose as it should be. I worry that having that much tension on the pivot point will eventually damage the rotary steering cable or helm, so I am going to keep plugging along. Grease is cheap, so I plan to spend the weekend trying to wash out the new grease I put in this week.

My neighbor has been laughing at me standing in chest deep water while I pumped the grease gun, so I think will put it on the lift. I noticed a big school of small jelly fish in my canal around my snook light early this morning. I don't want to tangle with those guys if I can avoid it!

I may be able to use compressed air to blow out some of the grease to speed up the job. What do you think?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Thats a nice place to boat. I bet there a some pretty stringent rules for boating around there.
Have you tried unhooking the steering at the tube like the other guy did to make sure its not the wheel and associated cables sticking?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

He said that in his first post .

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it was myself I'd try the compressed air with the pressure as high as I could get it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Thank you for the correction.

Timswfl

Recruit

yes, I have dismantled the steering cable and cleaned/lubed it. it works fine and appears almost new. With the cable disconnected, the motor is still hard to pivot.