Oil pressure switch connection bad.

Taz59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys
My Engine is 1997 Volvo Penta 5.7 GLi TBI.
My engine has been running great no problems what so ever,I was just checking the engine the other day and noticed that the lead going to the oil pressure switch was not connected as it fell off due to bad corrosion,it's the pressure switch next o the oil filter.

What has got me puzzled is why are there no alarms or it's not gone into SLOW mode.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Taza

betroncm

Cadet
Re: Oil pressure switch connection bad.

Is it possible that the pressure switch you are talking about is for the pressure gauge only and you have another oil pressure sensor on that engine? The engine electrical parts list is showing two separate oil pressure sending unit part numbers.

Taz59

Petty Officer 1st Class

The other pressure sensor on top of the engine is for the oil pressure gauge which is working fine.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

That pressure switch is for the alarm. It's just an on/off type of switch. If there is no/low oil pressure, like 5psi or less the switch is grounded. If there is more then the switch is open. Since it's not hooked up, it acts like the oil pressure is good, ie open circuit, so no alarm. I'd get it fixed. If your gauge is showing oil pressure all is good, but it's nice having a backup to let you know somethings going wrong when you may be too busy to notice. (the knock sensor is located mid-block on the starter side of the engine)