Mid 70's Johnson SeaHorse 2 HP No Spark Help.

pierpont

Cadet
I have a mid 70's Johnson Seahorse 2 hp that died while running today. I don't believe it's a fuel related issue as it shut down all at once as if someone turned off the light switch. A local lake mechanic was nice enough to do a spark test. It had none. I'd like to fix it myself but need some instruction or advise. How do I get to the ignition parts to inspect them? I'm afraid to take off the top cowel as I know there is a big recoil spring under there waiting to explode in my face. I made that mistake once before. Is that the only way to access the parts?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Craig.

Model # 2R79A
Serial # E5031132

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mid 70's Johnson SeaHorse 2 HP No Spark Help.

Don't worry about that spring. Take the recoil starter off all in one piece. No need to take that apart. But you will have to remove the flywheel, needing a puller for that. You also need some way of holding the flywheel while you tighten the nut to 22-25 foot pounds when you put it back together.

BTW, your motor is a 1979

Last edited:

pierpont

Cadet

Thank you for your quick reply and information. I'm breathing a bit easier knowing I don't have to tackle the monster spring. Also, thanks for motor year ID.

Craig.

pierpont

Cadet

Thank you soooo much! $35.00 in electrical parts, and this vintage motor should be back on the water. Great information.

Craig.